Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

right now I am only getting 2 eggs a day! Like three or four hens are molting right now, but all eight of them molted this last Oct-Nov. Why are some of them molting again?
barnie.gif

One hen, a RIR is quilled on her head and ragged and patchy, while the others have missing tails and bald heads haha they sure look ridiculous. My parrot happens to be molting as well, and is half naked!
lol.png

There were strange molts last year, so maybe they will continue. My parrot is finally done molting, but my parakeets are in full molts now, maybe they think they are still in Australia.

I have 4 hens a little over a year old. They all started laying by last September, in November 2 went into a mini molt and stopped laying, one started again in February. My one barred rock has not layed an egg since november. Her comb has turned red again. I recently noticed at night her crop is much smaller than the other girls. I don't think the other girls are blocking her from eating, I believe she is top of the pecking order. They get out to free range in the yard in the evenings and whenever I offer treats she always runs up and eats them. She doesn't appear lower in weight. Any ideas about what might be going on? These are my first chickens so I don't know if I am missing something.

I have 4 hens a little over a year old. They all started laying by last September, in November 2 went into a mini molt and stopped laying, one started again in February. My one barred rock has not layed an egg since november. Her comb has turned red again. I recently noticed at night her crop is much smaller than the other girls. I don't think the other girls are blocking her from eating, I believe she is top of the pecking order. They get out to free range in the yard in the evenings and whenever I offer treats she always runs up and eats them. She doesn't appear lower in weight. Any ideas about what might be going on? These are my first chickens so I don't know if I am missing something.
I would suspect a hidden nest, they can be very sneaky. Otherwise some just don't lay well or consistently.

My barred rock has still not laid an edd since she went into a molt in November. She had been top of the pecking order but the other day I noticed my Buff Orpington starting to peck at her. It's only a few pecks then they go back to normal behavior. Any ideas about what is going of with the barred rock. She seems fine otherwise. Should I try giving her extra protein? A little cat food? I have been reading different things, just looking for advice before I try anything new.

My barred rock has still not laid an edd since she went into a molt in November. She had been top of the pecking order but the other day I noticed my Buff Orpington starting to peck at her. It's only a few pecks then they go back to normal behavior. Any ideas about what is going of with the barred rock. She seems fine otherwise. Should I try giving her extra protein? A little cat food? I have been reading different things, just looking for advice before I try anything new.
How old is she? What are you feeding them?

Back
Top Bottom