Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
Ok,
Half of my flock is almost 3 years old, the other half is almost 2. I provide light at night, feed them layer feed from the local co-op (ground corn, oats, additives, roasted soybeans, etc.) and good table scraps (friut, bread, oatmeal, etc.), they seem healthy, and they get lots of fresh air and water. Still, I am getting 5 eggs every day, out of the 18 layers we own. Do I need to provide them with more light? Do they need more light at night? My mom tells me they are getting old, but they are mostly Black Star birds that are supposed to lay for at least 3 years. They were very produceful, the first batch started laying at 20 weeks. Are they too old? 2 of them are Leghorn layers but I only get 1 white egg per day. The coop is kept pretty clean and they have plenty of room. What do any of you think is wrong? I read the article, thanks for posting it, but I still don't know. My egg customers are hoping for more eggs per week, because I used to sell 13 dozen per week, now it is down to about 4 or 5. Thanks all.
I don't know about age because ours are only 9-1yrs. But I started vitamins and the one chicken who hasn't layed since August started laying. Yes, light helps.

I only have 8 hens, but here it is, the dead of winter, and I still get 4 or 5 eggs/day. Not a wonderful or extra clean coop, but, when I was having the problem of too few eggs, the only thing I changed was, I ONLY give them layer pellets. They free range in the daylight hours, so they get plenty of other stuff. When I used to give them a little scratch feed with the pellets, I was hardly getting any eggs. So, that has been my observation. Nothing but layer pellets, free in the coop at all times, and fresh water all the time seems to be the key for me. I do have a light in the coop, that turns on around midnight, and turns off after daylight.

I only have 8 hens, but here it is, the dead of winter, and I still get 4 or 5 eggs/day. Not a wonderful or extra clean coop, but, when I was having the problem of too few eggs, the only thing I changed was, I ONLY give them layer pellets. They free range in the daylight hours, so they get plenty of other stuff. When I used to give them a little scratch feed with the pellets, I was hardly getting any eggs. So, that has been my observation. Nothing but layer pellets, free in the coop at all times, and fresh water all the time seems to be the key for me. I do have a light in the coop, that turns on around midnight, and turns off after daylight.
Interesting, I'll watch the scratch too.

I have a friend with chickens and she said one of her chickens laid this. It was about 4 inches long. She is very concerned. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I have a friend with chickens and she said one of her chickens laid this. It was about 4 inches long. She is very concerned. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

It looks like her lady parts are malfunctioning and allowed several day's egg membranes to merge together and all exit at the same time. I wouldn't be worried unless it happens again. I am sure the chicken is happy her body forgot to put a shell on that. OUCH would be heard a long way away if she tried to lay an egg that long.

If she continues to lay eggs without shells she might taste good in soup....or if she is a fav, your friend could fry up the contents and serve it back to the chickens.

Might want to add calcium to the flock's diet to help her put a shell on it.

Hi there, my young hens ( 7 of them ) 1-2 years old that were laying well through winter have all but ceased laying for 2 months. My RIR is going strong, the Americauna is sporadic but my Barred Rock and Cuckkoo Maran have completely stopped. They aren't fat, no stress, no egg eating, no laying eggs in weird places, no predators, their food is the same. They only difference was the introduction of a 'rescue' , the Barred Rock, who was laying well for a month and was introduced to the flock seemlessly...I'm perplexed. I cannot see mites anywhere and I've examined their crap for worms, they seem to be just fine. I think I'm going to worm them just in case but what about putting in a Rooster for a few weeks. Maybe introducing a bit of testosterone will spice up the hen house and remind them what their girl bits are there for.......Any other ideas other than a whole bunch of murder and starting a whole new flock which is not very appealing.....

I logged on to read about reasons healthy chickens would rather dramatically fall off in their laying. 2 of the 5 are 4yrs. old and 3 about 2 so we wouldn't be surprised about a slowdown but they were laying like crazy a month ago even though we still had shorter days. I have checked everywhere I can think of for rogue laying in the grass but they DO head to the henhouse (with apparent urgency) and sit in there for a long time (hrs. sometimes) and depart without laying. As someone said, they aren't laying because they aren't laying, which is ok (sort of) unless there is a problem. I have felt their abdomens (not sure what I'm looking for though). I doubt there is a predator eating them but will keep a better eye out. Any thoughts welcome.

What are you feeding them? With the warmer weather have you been letting them out to range some? With the warmer weather their consumption comes down some and when they first start free ranging in the spring they start eating a lot of other stuff other than their layer feed, both of which can lower their protein intake. If you have been giving them scratch on the side for the winter, stop feeding them extras, so they rely on their layer feed more. As we head into the summer and their consumption is way down due the heat a 17-18% protein layer ration is more appropriate to get the required amount of protein into them.

Back
Top Bottom