Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
Quote:
While chickens will continue to lay for many many years, their production does decrease after age 2. Even production chickens in ideal production setting.

I fell in love with chickens when I helped put in an automatic egg collection system in a production hen house. On the lower level they had a huge area with hundreds of cute, fluffy yellow chicks. The owner explained to me that it was his "grow out" area and that when his hens reached 2 years of age they were sent to Cambell's in NJ for soup. The empty cages were filled with new hens, which he grew out in the large grow out area.

My point is, while your chickens are still laying , they aren't laying as much as they did when they were young. (Do any of us do as much now as we did when we were young?)

Consider putting the dog food up higher and enjoying the antics. You said you were gonna butcher the 3 year old red sex links....what breed are the other 4 chickens? Red Sex links are probably the ones laying your eggs, unless the other 4 are another production breed.

I knew hens egg production declined at two years of age but when we purchased the eight 3 year old hens, I had hoped they would keep us in eggs until our pullets started laying. I also had reason to believe that they were still quite productive as there were 6 eggs in the nesting boxes the day we picked them up(chased them around the coop and captured them)and they were supposedly still getting 6-7 a day. In the two and half months we've had them, they've never given us that many in a day. We also kept close tabs on who was laying what. We were rarely gifted with eggs from the red sex-links. The EEs and the RIRs were doing all the work. We did everything we could to make sure these hens were healthy and happy - free-ranging from 10:30 am until bedtime, layer feed, crushed oyster shells, table scraps a few times of week, a nice clean coop and cozy nesting boxes with curtains for privacy. They had it made. We finally made the decision(and it wasn't easy)that they were not an asset to us and were costing us too much to feed them when we were getting nary an egg from them. Now, hopefully, with three less(my husband wasn't able to get one of them), our 18 and 20 week old pullets will be able to eat without getting pecked to death by the big girls. Oh, and we started bringing the dog food inside when we let them out in the morning. It's become a game to race back to the porch to bring the bowl inside before the chickens make a bee line for it.
lol.png

Quote:
While chickens will continue to lay for many many years, their production does decrease after age 2. Even production chickens in ideal production setting.

I fell in love with chickens when I helped put in an automatic egg collection system in a production hen house. On the lower level they had a huge area with hundreds of cute, fluffy yellow chicks. The owner explained to me that it was his "grow out" area and that when his hens reached 2 years of age they were sent to Cambell's in NJ for soup. The empty cages were filled with new hens, which he grew out in the large grow out area.

My point is, while your chickens are still laying , they aren't laying as much as they did when they were young. (Do any of us do as much now as we did when we were young?)

Consider putting the dog food up higher and enjoying the antics. You said you were gonna butcher the 3 year old red sex links....what breed are the other 4 chickens? Red Sex links are probably the ones laying your eggs, unless the other 4 are another production breed.

I knew hens egg production declined at two years of age but when we purchased the eight 3 year old hens, I had hoped they would keep us in eggs until our pullets started laying. I also had reason to believe that they were still quite productive as there were 6 eggs in the nesting boxes the day we picked them up(chased them around the coop and captured them)and they were supposedly still getting 6-7 a day. In the two and half months we've had them, they've never given us that many in a day. We also kept close tabs on who was laying what. We were rarely gifted with eggs from the red sex-links. The EEs and the RIRs were doing all the work. We did everything we could to make sure these hens were healthy and happy - free-ranging from 10:30 am until bedtime, layer feed, crushed oyster shells, table scraps a few times of week, a nice clean coop and cozy nesting boxes with curtains for privacy. They had it made. We finally made the decision(and it wasn't easy)that they were not an asset to us and were costing us too much to feed them when we were getting nary an egg from them. Now, hopefully, with three less(my husband wasn't able to get one of them), our 18 and 20 week old pullets will be able to eat without getting pecked to death by the big girls. Oh, and we started bringing the dog food inside when we let them out in the morning. It's become a game to race back to the porch to bring the bowl inside before the chickens make a bee line for it.
lol.png

I cant help but laugh at your dog food story, I have a 6 month old nubian who races to the chicken coop as soon as I open it to come in and eat all the hens food. We finally had to start pullling their food out during the day so that she wouldnt eat it all (and she gets quite sick too by the way) Its a race every morning to pull the chicken feed before she gets in there...little stinker

Quote:
Hmmm...my D'ccles started laying as soon as it got hot. OH, I wormed them too. I hadn't done that in like...well, forever....it was one week after worming that they started laying again.

Now I wait on the pullets to start. Any day now.
fl.gif

Thanks for the great article.
We have two hens gone broodie in the past week plus a hawk that keeps circulating over the tree canopy above our coop.
Production is way down and the tacky fake owl is perched on the roof of the coop.
fl.gif

Quote:
That is the same thing the "old folks" are saying here..........I have pobably 30 hens and was getting anywhere from 26-28 eggs EVERY day until about 3 weeks ago. The past 3 weeks I have gotten at most 6 eggs, and at the least, 3 eggs per day! Temperatures have been from 96-100 each day with humidity from 70-90%. I am assuming if stress causes hens to stop laying, the heat would be a definite form of stress????

Last edited:
Hens are literally dying on nests right now in the extreme heat/humidity, so I'd rather they slowed down or stopped altogether than to lose them. They aren't machines. I sure wouldn't want them sitting in a sweat box with their body temp skyrocketing and their brains almost cooking just to pop out that egg for me. If they can stop now and be safe, they may be around for many more eggs later on.
wink.png

My flock production varies between 8 and 16 eggs daily from about 21 hens who are currently able to produce eggs--that doesn't count the ones who are dying from internal laying or my one broody hen.

Back
Top Bottom