Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
For sure, chickens ARE living creatures. About a year ago, I posted my dilemma of my lead hen, a production red, who stopped laying abruptly after 18 months. Her behavior was quickly followed by the other two hens, an Italian buttercup and a welsummer, who were laying for close to 12 months. That year, after they all weren't laying, I bought chicks for the eggs. A month ago, three months after the young pullets began laying, the welsummer started laying again! Alleluia. With only six hens, who produce four different colored eggs, I'm aware of who is producing and who isn't. Now, maybe the production red and the buttercup will begin producing again, and if not, they'll still be part of my treasured flock.

After many months of getting 1 or 2 eggs a day from 17 hens and doing many hours of reading on this thread, I finally discovered that I was feeding my girls way too much corn and not enough laying feed! I have completely cut out the corn (except for an occasional treat) and my production has increased quite a bit!
wee.gif
Wow, just think how stupid I felt, to realize it was my fault! I'm glad I had this thread to turn to - I was worried there was something wrong with my girls. Instead, there was something wrong with their "mom"!
lau.gif
thumbsup.gif

Good job! At least you figured it out and gave them better nutritian. And to thank you they give you eggs. Isn't that just the coolest.

For sure, chickens ARE living creatures. About a year ago, I posted my dilemma of my lead hen, a production red, who stopped laying abruptly after 18 months. Her behavior was quickly followed by the other two hens, an Italian buttercup and a welsummer, who were laying for close to 12 months. That year, after they all weren't laying, I bought chicks for the eggs. A month ago, three months after the young pullets began laying, the welsummer started laying again! Alleluia. With only six hens, who produce four different colored eggs, I'm aware of who is producing and who isn't. Now, maybe the production red and the buttercup will begin producing again, and if not, they'll still be part of my treasured flock.

That would be me too, treasured whether they layed or not.

Yup, another one in the main flock started back, one of my 5 yr old Barred Rock hens. Now, I have 14 out of 19 laying again, just not every day. Of the five not yet back in production, there is a 5 yr old Buff Brahma, two almost-four-yr-old Ameraucanas, one of the Delawares and my black Rock, who should start any day now that her molt is over and she's gained her weight back. Day length is helping, for certain.

In the Orp coop, three older hens are not laying at all and even one of the pullets hasn't laid in awhile. In a third coop, a splash Rock pullet is having an especially hard mini-molt, which is not so "mini", and quit laying, though she won't be a year old until April.

I'm probably just being a nervous new mother, but figured I'd ask this well versed community for some reassurance.

We got our girls as newborns in July, and they started laying one by one (well, all but the Silkie) in December, with our EE starting up two weeks ago (green! yay!). The RIR and Silver Laced Wyandotte stopped laying as soon as the EE started. The EE has a great schedule (two days on, one day off), but our other two girls haven't laid an egg in a week and a half, though their laying was never on a schedule. I figured it's just because they're young, and started laying in the winter, and that egg production would even out a bit as the days got longer.

We did switch them over to layer feed recently, which they seem to scatter around quite a bit so I'm concerned they're not eating enough. I'm extra nervous because I'm traveling for work and not there to actually see them and make sure they're okay. I feel like if it was a nutrition thing, the EE wouldn't be laying either, but she's going gangbusters. Should I just relax as long as there is no sign that they're in distress? Figures I'd have picky eaters - they still devour their treats when they get them. . .

If they are getting decent layer pellets, they are fine. Go easy on the treats if they aren't eating, but if they are eating layer feed all day while you're at work, they really don't need anymore food overnight anyway.

I am so thankful for the advice I can find with this group of people. I am new at this and I only have a couple of hens and so far things have not gone as well as I would have liked but I can always count on you (all contributors) to direct me to solutions.

I have not provided enough light to keep my hens laying. Tomorrow I work on the necessary modifications to the coop.

I am so thankful for the advice I can find with this group of people. I am new at this and I only have a couple of hens and so far things have not gone as well as I would have liked but I can always count on you (all contributors) to direct me to solutions.

I have not provided enough light to keep my hens laying. Tomorrow I work on the necessary modifications to the coop.

Welcome!

Just remember don't expect them to restart laying overnight. Some of it will depend on where they are at moltwise and also age will be a factor. A young hen that starts laying in the fall then stops due to low light will go through a molt and restart in the spring. An older hen may take more time. My old girls have been going through fits and giggles. They will lay awesome for about 6 weeks and then look at me like lady we are on our coffee break so leave us alone. This will go on for a few weeks and then back at it. Of course those are my really old girls and not my two year or less, but each bird will have their own schedule. Silly me for thinking they should just quit cackeling and lay the egg.

Back
Top Bottom