Why aren't my chickens laying?

Gallinarium

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
America
I got my chicks on May 5, ordered from Murray McMurray hatchery. This means they're 28 weeks old, and they STILL aren't laying. They're all egg-type: Leghorns, Leghorn ancestors, and Leghorn hybrids. Thoughts?

I got my chicks on May 5, ordered from Murray McMurray hatchery. This means they're 28 weeks old, and they STILL aren't laying. They're all egg-type: Leghorns, Leghorn ancestors, and Leghorn hybrids. Thoughts?
A few thoughts..

Someone's stealing or eating eggs if confined.

Someone's hiding eggs if free range.

Or daylight is too short.. Light hours equals lay hormone.

Final thought.. poor nutrition. predator visits, parasites.. are all things that can effect production.

Okay, one more.. Somehow, MAYBE they are having unexpected mini molts.. Check for pin feathers.. This years birds were out of whack for me too.. I presumed genetic weakness and moved the entire Bielefelder breed on.

I never YET had a Leghorn lay as early as claimed despite that being the reason I bought them! It seems they're being over touted and out performed these days. Despite turning out to be some of my families favorite. :hmm

Post photos of your birds, we might be able to tell you how close they are.. :pop

A few thoughts..

Final thought.. poor nutrition. predator visits, parasites.. are all things that can effect production.

Okay, one more.. Somehow, MAYBE they are having unexpected mini molts.. Check for pin feathers.. This years birds were out of whack for me too.. I presumed genetic weakness and moved the entire Bielefelder breed on.

I never YET had a Leghorn lay as early as claimed despite that being the reason I bought them! It seems they're being over touted and out performed these days. Despite turning out to be some of my families favorite. :hmm

Post photos of your birds, we might be able to tell you how close they are.. :pop
This whole YEAR has been out of whack. Oh, and those are really good questions.

A few thoughts..

I've been checking for egg remnants/yolk on beak, but nothing.
They aren't free ranged.
The supplemental light goes from 3:30 am to whenever sunset is, around 5 pm.
They went through one bag of sprout medicated chick food, then switched over to the non-medicated until September, now they're on Sprout All-Flock. They've had Rooster Booster in their water intermittently.
They, or at least Sally, have pin feathers. But I'm not positive that's not from still growing in adult feathers.
The weird thing is, they all just still look young, despite their age. I'll go get pictures now.

Okay. My only adult chicken is a Buff Orpington-y chicken. Here's two pics comparing Blondie, a white Leghorn with her.
IMG_20201118_191236.jpg

IMG_20201118_191239.jpg

Amara, a red Leghorn.
IMG_20201118_191159.jpg

Please note that this entire photo shoot, they were trying to eat my camera.

Investigating...
IMG_20201118_191309.jpg

Considering...
IMG_20201118_191310.jpg

Oh my god.
IMG_20201118_191318.jpg

Okay. My only adult chicken is a Buff Orpington-y chicken. Here's two pics comparing Blondie, a white Leghorn with her.
View attachment 2416385
View attachment 2416386

Amara, a red Leghorn.
View attachment 2416390

Please note that this entire photo shoot, they were trying to eat my camera.

Investigating...
View attachment 2416393
Considering...
View attachment 2416394
Oh my god.
View attachment 2416397
Some of them are definitely getting close if not there.. Your last one is an Easter Egger not a Leghorn. The white one looks closest.. But pin feathers are pin feathers.. and still growing in adult feathers equals mini molts.. and most chickens won't lay while the feathers are still growing in.

Your lighting is JUST barely enough.. it will start increasing more after December 21st.. but adding too much lit bored time could be counter productive..

The red Leghorn (presuming your breed identification is correct).. looks less close than the white lady.. and the EE doesn't look any closer.. even though she trying! :love

Have you already added some fake eggs to give them an idea.. or is your older gal laying?

The weird thing is, they all just still look young, despite their age.
Sounds like it's probably just a matter of patience and the birds not reading our information about which guidelines they should follow. (genetics)

Some of them are definitely getting close if not there.. Your last one is an Easter Egger not a Leghorn. The white one looks closest.. But pin feathers are pin feathers.. and still growing in adult feathers equals mini molts.. and most chickens won't lay while the feathers are still growing in.

Your lighting is JUST barely enough.. it will start increasing more after December 21st.. but adding too much lit bored time could be counter productive..

The red Leghorn (presuming your breed identification is correct).. looks less close than the white lady.. and the EE doesn't look any closer.. even though she trying! :love

Have you already added some fake eggs to give them an idea.. or is your older gal laying?

Sounds like it's probably just a matter of patience and the birds not reading our information about which guidelines they should follow. (genetics)
Firstly, I didn't say they were all Leghorns, just a lot of them. I have five Leghorns, two Minorcas, a red sex-link, and a Whiting True Green. The chicken with the beard is a "Whiting True Blue". McMurray specifically says that they don't have Araucana/Ameraucana blood. Don't know if that's true, don't really care.
I can easily increase lighting, if that'd help.
No fake eggs yet, but there's nesting boxes. Fluffball is taking FOREVER to molt.
Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom