Why arent my chickens laying?

Enola please correct me if i am wrong but I have heard from a few folks that Ivomec "Eprinex" doesn't kill all varieties of worms. You may consider Valbazen or SafeGuard. Both of these are really good. This is what I copied from other threads and is my guide on de-worming my Chickens:

Valbazen
With Valbazen (albendazole) I would use .2ml per 2.2 pounds once by mouth and repeat in ten days.
  • A Rhode Island Red hen would get .6ml
  • A Rhode Island Red rooster would get .8ml
You may or may not see worms excreted in feces after worming. Most of the time they are absorbed in the digestive tract and not excreted. Chicken worms cannot infect your dogs and visa versa.

the *most effective* dose according to the study that dawg often refers to is 20mg/kg, which is approximately .2ml per 2.2 pounds. For example, an average sized RIR hen would get .58ml and a Jersey Giant hen would get .9-1ml.

I don’t recommend putting it in water. Administer it orally to each bird. If you have a lot of birds, split them up into two groups and keep them separated. Dose one group one day, then the next group the following day.
If you put it in water you don’t know if the birds drank the mixture, or drank enough of it to be effective. If you have sick wormy birds, they won’t drink it at all. That's why it's best to dose them one by one yourself. Redose in 10 days to kill worm larva hatched from eggs missed since the first dosing. Use a syringe without a needle, 1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Just pull the wattles down and the mouth will open. Squirt it in and let go of the wattles so the bird can swallow it on her own.

SafeGuard

The amount of paste or liquid Safeguard I use is .2-.5 ml per 2.2 pounds 3-5 days in a row.
Give straight from the syringe at 0.23ml per pound of body weight.

Half pound chicken 0.115ml
One pound chicken - 0.23ml
Two pound chicken - 0.46ml
Three pound chicken - 0.69ml
Four pound chicken - 0.92ml
Five pound chicken - 1.15ml
Six pound chicken - 1.38ml
Seven pound chicken - 1.61ml

Thanks for everyones help. I will look for the wormers you suggested. I did get two eggs yesterday and a partially formed one. Im hoping the increased protein in the layer pellets and the lights are working. Time will tell.

:)

You can get SafeGuard from Tractor Supply. It is the Goat Wormer for about 19.00 per bottle. I ordered the Valbazen from Jeffers online for about 41.00 per bottle.

The shorter days will have some relevance to less egg production. You can trick them by using 14 hr.s of white light per day.

Thanks for the info. I will stop there tonight after work. I already have them on light to help. I got 4 eggs Saturday!! I did a happy dance. :) Hopefully, things will start turning around. Its pretty bad when you have almost 40 hens and you have to go to the store to buy eggs. :) haha!!

Oh! Yes, I have two roosters. But roosters have nothing to do with egg production. Im just stumped as to why I went from two dozen a day to two eggs a week. I understand they slow down due to time of year, temperature, moulting, etc. but that doesnt explain the drastic drop. Maybe time will tell.
Actually roosters can take place in this.They could cause stress,which causes the hens notw anting to lay.

Thought I would give you all an update on the chickens. They are finally laying again. I am getting about six to eight eggs a day. Started out with four one day and has steadily gone up from there. I think the increased protien and lights have helped. I wormed them also just to be safe.
Thanks to everyone who replied with your suggestions and information. It certainly helped!! Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom