Why Can't We Have Ordinances to Control Cats? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to read back far enough to see how Veronica was injured. Is the problem that your birds run scared when the cats are present?

I have to agree that the best solution is for you to get a cat. I live on a large farm with a small feral population. My 4 cats keep the feral cats away. Also, my chickens and ducks are acclimated to my cats and dogs so that they do not run nilly willy at the sight of them.

88997_prudynbags.jpg

You need the right cats / dogs to keep your flock safe.

88997_dish43close.jpg

Raise your new puppy / kitten with baby chickens. You will enjoy the outcome.

88997_lineup.jpg

Getting upset never helps.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Please don't make unkind generalizations, it tends to overshadow the of the rest of what you wrote.

I personally am a very responsible cat owner who takes pride in maintaining my cats. I have them all spayed, keep them healthy with regular vet visits, and never let them roam outside. It saddens me that you have such a hateful view of me just because I like a certain animal, and without having even met me.
sad.png

Chickindelight....I'm confused as to what your response has to do with non-rural neighbors not controlling their animals?

I think some are confusing the issue of damage and annoyances caused by other's owned, domestic animals with a dislike for the breed.

Also, any shelter or rescue group will tell you that the only safe cat, is a in-home cat. People who don't want to provide the necessary training or outdoor enclosures for their cat to "enjoy" the outside are just lazy, negligent owners.

I'm amazed that the same kind of people who would riot if their neighbors had dogs running loose, think a domesticated or fed feral cat is "natural" and therefore, ok.

Maybe that toxoplasmosis is already working on them.

Love your pictures, ChickInDelight. Your dog looks like a very good boy, probably a good protector for your flock.

Yes, Veronica broke her beak running in fear when the neighbor's cat fell through a roofing panel into their pen. i actually do have cats - i keep them inside. When i was younger i used to let my cats outside. Too many times of finding them hit by cars or them not coming home at all changed my ways. i think if we had a larger property in a more rural setting, things might be different. As it is, i'm looking at building an enclosed patio off our bedroom so they can be more outdoors but still safe. Something like a large chicken pen with hardware cloth all around so they can feel the sun and see the sky.

Quote:
Actually, there is a lot of evidence that dogs did this also - by scavenging, less afraid dogs got more food, were more sucessfull, each generation more and more wolf-dogs were friendlier, less afraid of people, they became integrated with people and then we selectively bred them.
wink.png

Quote:
X2

If I am required to keep my dog on my property (which I do because I actually care), I expect everyone else be required to keep their pets on their property. That includes dogs, cats, chickens, horses, cows, llamas ... If it is an occational, accidental thing where the animal excaped and they are trying and doing their best, I am willing to overlook the occational tresspass. But I have no patience for those that leave their animals run loose becuase it is their nature or they like it. My dogs would like to run loose also, and it is their nature to chase prey animals, I just don't let them do

Personally, I prefer to keep my cats in the house full-time. I even trained my cats not to go outside. I can prop the door open and they will line up on the threshold and check it out, but they will not cross. And these were a barn cats kittens from a friends farm.

I have seen too many loose cats killing wildlife for fun. My cousin's cat would fight with the racoons on a regular basis, what kind of diseases do you think he was exposed to and bringing home. I had a neighbor who made her husband check the front porch every morning and clean up the dead animals that the cat brought home every night.

Also, I guess I am just too cheap to keep paying for vet bills to stitch the dang things back up whenever they get injured.

if a silly fat pet cat can crash through the op's so called fortress the op should thank the cat what if it was a coon or something worse and done at night when chickens wont even attempt to get away the whole flock would have been done, you are lucky u found a weak spot before something really bad..

Quote:
This comment has already been made. This was the only pen that was not daytime predator safe, due to that one roof panel that is now fixed. All my animals are locked in secure coops in the evening, when a raccoon might come by and the goats are locked up and not able to scare it off. i'm not about to thank that cat for falling into my pen. She isn't a wild animal going after food. She is someone's neglected pet who shouldn't be climbing all over my pens and pestering my birds.

And frankly, your comments are not helpful at all. You are being condescending with such statements as "the op's so called fortress". If you are here just to stir the pot and rile things up, please move along. There are some interesting and helpful comments on this thread and i don't want it getting shut down because of one troll.

OK folks... It is really very simple cat lover or not.

There is absolutely no reason your pet should ever be on my property cat, dog, parakeet, gerbil, or otherwise and it is the responsibility of the pet's OWNER to be sure it is not able to stray onto my property or near my livestock whether you feel it is no threat or not.

Responsible pet owners should never allow their pet to become a predator and it DOES happen sometimes no matter how loveable they are at home.

So please let's stop the bickering and keep your animals in your own yard, house, or whatever, but not roaming free because you feel it is not doing any harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom