Why Can't You Put Quail and Chickens Together

Quote:
I only hatch my own quail too, I don't want to take the risk of them getting sick if they haven't been exposed to it.

Quote:
No, you have a different opinion. We have a fact. Some people deny it exists, but there is proof. If there is proof of it then why take the risk?
idunno.gif

And I have proof that in some cases they can live together, there is proof on both sides of the issue. I'm not saying it will work in every situation, I don't ignore the fact that it can and does happen to people. But it is not 100% true to say that housing them together will automatically kill your quail.

I'd say 70% of the time it has the potential to. Why risk your birds on it though?

Quote:
I only hatch my own quail too, I don't want to take the risk of them getting sick if they haven't been exposed to it.

How do you know they are exposed to it? Have they showed symptoms in the past? You could be extremely lucky and yoyur chickens don't carry it...

Quote:
Do you mean you hatch from other sources, or just your own flock?

I buy eggs as we all do. I don't buy chicks or adults. So all chicks come out of my hatcher... You have to bring in new blood at times....

Quote:

How do you know they are exposed to it? Have they showed symptoms in the past? You could be extremely lucky and yoyur chickens don't carry it...

No, they have never showed symptoms of being sick with anything. Is it possible for quail to become immune to it if they are exposed from day 1?

Quote:
And I have proof that in some cases they can live together, there is proof on both sides of the issue. I'm not saying it will work in every situation, I don't ignore the fact that it can and does happen to people. But it is not 100% true to say that housing them together will automatically kill your quail.

I'd say 70% of the time it has the potential to. Why risk your birds on it though?

If I didn't risk anything all my chickens would be cooped up in a small, muddy pen with a roof over their heads. Instead I took the risk of foxes and coyotes to let them free range and they are all happier. If I didn't take the risk I could not have quail, and I love my quail. Why should I get rid of them or change if nothing has gone wrong?

Quote:

70% of our flocks have Coryza? With no symptoms? Thats pretty scary stuff...

Back
Top Bottom