Why chickens?

I got my chickens because of FFA. They had a contest in my area for 'free' broilers, all you had to do was show them at a fair, and they were yours to keep and do whatever with. So, after buying and regretting buying broilers first forever, we traded my 19 broilers for 5 RIR hens that were already laying, a RIR roo, and a rooster to show at the next fair, a skittish polish. I have fallen in love with chickens because of my small flock, and now have 11 3 week old chicks in an outside brooder, and plan on hatching some eggs from my hens very soon.

After that horrid meat bird decision, when I see people asking for what breed to begin with/what type of chicken should they get, I always advise to wait on meat, or get a meat chick with multiple pullets. Broilers nearly made me wan to quit chickens all together, but I stuck around, and im happy I didn't give up after the broilers.

Currently 1 in the morning, pulling an all nighter to monitor the incubator, so ill post pics of my flock in the morning during feed time.

I got my chickens because of FFA. They had a contest in my area for 'free' broilers, all you had to do was show them at a fair, and they were yours to keep and do whatever with. So, after buying and regretting buying broilers first forever, we traded my 19 broilers for 5 RIR hens that were already laying, a RIR roo, and a rooster to show at the next fair, a skittish polish. I have fallen in love with chickens because of my small flock, and now have 11 3 week old chicks in an outside brooder, and plan on hatching some eggs from my hens very soon.

After that horrid meat bird decision, when I see people asking for what breed to begin with/what type of chicken should they get, I always advise to wait on meat, or get a meat chick with multiple pullets. Broilers nearly made me wan to quit chickens all together, but I stuck around, and im happy I didn't give up after the broilers.

Currently 1 in the morning, pulling an all nighter to monitor the incubator, so ill post pics of my flock in the morning during feed time.
Wow! Very cool! Yes, in one of my articles I say if you are looking for backyard chickens, then don't get any meat birds! Thanks for sharing!

Here's one reason - two broodies raising their young together. Quite a neat thing to watch.

2017-06-21_110248.jpg

P7181353.jpg

I had to repost this... accidentally deleted it. Oops.

I have 5 chickens: RIR, Araucana, Columbian Rock Cross, Golden Comet, and Silver Laced Wyandotte.

My camera: Olympus OM-D E-M5 with a 75 mm lens.

Junebug, what type of hens do you use as broodies? I have some Wyandotte chicks that I hope go broody, also looking for at least 3 cochins as well, incubation isn't my thing, LOL.

Mine are Welsummers. About 25% of them have gone broody this year. One has gone broody 3 times in the past year. She's pitiful. She keeps moving from her nest with eggs to another one. I think she's not dominant at all and gets pushed out of her nest, and doesn't have the sense to go back to her nest when it's empty.

Back
Top Bottom