Why Did 1 Hen Stop Laying?

J&J's Girls

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 26, 2011
NM
Good day all,
I have a rather odd situation happening here. We had 2 laying hens. Our Red is 8months+ and lays everyday! However, our barred rock, 6 months, is apparently on egg strike. I am aware that hens slow in the winter, but stop all together? They are both healthy, eating, drinking, and ranging around the yard fine. We introduced a new Australorp hen, 5 months, after her quarantine and the BR stopped since that day (9 total days.)

Is she not laying becuase of winter and then the added stress of a new bird? Or I possibly thought that with the new bird still young and not laying that the BR's hormone's shut off and the 2 might start together?

They have access to a high protein layer pellets and greens all day everyday. Should a calcium supplement be added?

Thanks for everyones input and advise in advance!
3 hens 1 egg a day?

Last edited:
Quote:
Nope not moulting.
hmm.png

J&J's Girls :

Quote:
Nope not moulting.
hmm.png

Hmmm then I just don't know , but I don't think adding a new hen would have stopped her, Has she already moulted for the winter then, maybe she is just beginning it ?? My two sexlinks lay longer than anyone else, even during the beginning parts of the molt but then stop when it gets deeper into the molt. 2 of my cuckoo Marans layed this morning but they just got over their molts. Also the daylight hrs and the temp effects different breeds and different chickens within a breed differently. Hmmm

I'm willing to bet it is either she is starting her molt or its been too cold for her.​

Thanks for your input, She isn't moulting, that's for sure. I think she is still do young, I am under the impression chickens don't moult till they are 1 full season old? I'm shooting in the dark here thought I read that somewhere.
idunno.gif

Anyway...LOL

It has been unaveragely cold here, temps in the low single digits, I'm sure that has something to do with it.

She has been exploring the nest boxes the last few days and is in there right now with our Red! Maybe my prayers are answered and I'll be proven a worry wort!
D.gif

Last edited:
J&J's Girls :

Thanks for your input, She isn't moulting, that's for sure. I think she is still do young, I am under the impression chickens don't moult till they are 1 full season old? I'm shooting in the dark here thought I read that somewhere.
idunno.gif

Anyway...LOL

It has been unaveragely cold here, temps in the low single digits, I'm sure that has something to do with it.

She has been exploring the nest boxes the last few days and is in there right now with our Red! Maybe my prayers are answered and I'll be proven a worry wort!
D.gif

best of luck to ya ! I hope she starts laying for ya soon. We're all worry warts when it comes to our Pets!​

J&J's Girls :

Is she not laying becuase of winter and then the added stress of a new bird? ...

You nailed it.

Think about the stress you would have if your employer hired a new person you knew nothing about and they came to live with you.

Same with chickens when someone new comes into the flock.​

Back
Top Bottom