Why did I pick THIS for a job?

tomstephens

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Charlotte NC
I have to imagine that I'm not alone in this sensation. Why in the world did I choose to work in computers? And at that...why a programmer? This means I'm stuck in a stupid cubicle around 6x6 (which is pretty large as far as cubicles go). I have pretty much no human interaction all day and the closest window in down a couple of hallways and into someones office.

Wish I could just pay off my house and become a farmer. I am so tired of staring at neutral colors and blinking florescent lights.

The photo on my desk of a sailboat does nothing to ease the pain of my incarceration. At that -- why can't I go work from home? My job is entirely based on the internet. In fact if the connection went down at work I'd be completely useless anyway. At least from home my office looks out of a nice bright window and I could probably move to another side of the house so I could see my chickens having a good time.

Anyone have similar feelings EVERY SINGLE DAY?
smile.png

edited for spelling corrections

Last edited:
I'm with ya, let's revolt! I'm not a computer programmer, I'm a materials cost estimator for a manufacturing company. I sit in a cave (cubical no walls) all day in front of my computer, go blind reading spreadsheets and trying to decipher tiny print on technical data packages. The flourescent lights are getting to me too. I have a couple of plants, but even they're miserable. The walls are white, the lights are white... everything is white, like when you wake up in the middle of an alien probe and see weird things looking down at you. It's sadistic...

I could do my job at home too, the only time I talk to someone is to ask for pricing or I have questions for an engineer.

I felt that way in the past and made the change back to teaching. Now sometimes I ask myself why I am doing that? I have kids who don't want to be in school, parents who don't see the reason why their kids need an education or need to learn English. I have fellow teachers who don't give a d+mn because they are in it for the paycheck and nothing else.
But then I have kids who come to school at 7am because they know I am there waiting and will eat breakfast with them in cafeteria. I have a classroom with lots of visitors to see our chicks and other animals. I have parents waiting in line to have their kids in my class. I have parents who buy my lunch and I don't even know who they are. I have mysterious presents show up on my doorstep or mailbox because someone cared. I have my former students come to my class to visit or invite me to their graduations.
You need to get out of that job. Walk out on the limb and hang on tight and go for it.
K

I have just finished year #39 of teaching and still love it! On summer vacation now, but by middle August will be ready to get back to it! I was VERY fortunate to choose this profession that has a good balance of time on/time off, great working conditions and the ability to see that a difference has been made. Sorry tomstephens that you are so unhappy in your job. FIND SOMETHING ELSE! Life is too short to get up every workday morning dreading the day ahead!

* I'm a SAHM whose kids finally, once and for all, got a one-year lease on their own place. No more bouncing back home when roomies bale. Sometimes, I don't SEE another person (DH excluded) until weekend errands!!! Time for a re-think of life!!!!

Quote:
I'm working on it.
smile.png
Going to try and get accepted into a radiology technician program at the junior college, and also finish my bachelor's at the university (because I already have an accociate degree).

I'm working on a few things right now. I'm working on buying 4 more acres that surround my house. I'm going to be doing a lot with that land when I have it and hopefully able to sell some of the fruits of it.

Also I run a couple of websites I'm doing a lot attempting to increase traffic so I can start to generate even a small income there. I'm working on my writing and anyway -- I'm doing a ton of things. If even one of them pans out and starts to make me some money I'll be making the switch.

Oh, also trying to get that whole work from home thing going. Annoying thing is it would make pretty much no difference for me at all since I actually work in a remote location from my boss as is...

If you like movies you can check out mine and a friends movie review website: film.ispwn.com

don't be shy about clicking on the ads either
tongue.png
haha

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom