Why did I pick THIS for a job?

My husband is a software architect/developer. He commutes 2 hours 1 way so that we can have our little farm. Just remember there is a reason for what you do. Make the money you need to bank to be able to live the life you want just a little further down the road. You are working toward your goal! Keep going. You can do it!
smile.png

That is how I felt when I was working in the lab. At first all that science stuff was pretty cool, at least for a nerd like me. But then you get tired of doing month long experiments that never work and you have NO privacy - not even a cubicle and I would have to come in in the middle of the night and Saturday mornings to do something that takes literally 20 minutes.

I'm so glad I took my job that I have now. It is part time but I work from home unless I'm traveling for inspections. I take an occassional conference call every now and then, but most of the days I can do whatever I want.

Even though I have a graduate degree and I'm grossly underpaid I have NO desire to go back to the lab now.
hmm.png

I was on the other side of the fence for a while, dealing with difficult teenagers, etc. at a public library. I'm definitely not a deal with the public type, and I used to dream of having my own cubicle! I understand you're in a frustrating position, though. Any other line of work you could get into?

My hubby is a computer engineer but loves working with computers. He has a little office but as long as he can work on the computer he's happy. I know many w ho feel the same way about their jobs though.

My DH is a "Software engineer" (he calls it that anyway) and he works for a big dumb company that has to have 10 different managers approve anything that's done. Seriously! It's so stupid sometimes, you have people who know nothing about programming making decisions...apparently my DH is supposed to be a magician to do some of the things they ask of him!
roll.png

Fortunately he only has to drive 10 miles to work and loves developing....it's just the management that gets to him. If wasn't for the insurance, he'd go out on his own contracting...more money and the scenery changes frequently.
Plus when there is "down time" in between projects he just plays on the internet all day...
lol.png

I'm a SAHM and there are days I would love to sit in a little cubicle all to myself all day. I would go bonkers if I had to do it every day, though.
wink.png

I love and hate computers. I love what can be done with them. I like programming -- in the right environment I could probably enjoy it as a job again. It just very hard to find a job with that type of environment. I want to be doing more experimental type of coding. Right now the hard part of my job is keeping focused on the obscenely boring and actually finishing. The work I'm doing simply isn't interesting or challenging.

There are worse jobs and the money's descent. I'm just bored. I'm not the type of person that does well when bored. I long to be challenged. I love problems I can't solve. I love to innovate and learn - but programming in most places is just like any job -- do the same thing because it works.

AND to make things worse -- I have a dress code at my current job which makes it very hard for me to ride my bike to work the way I had for 2 years.

tom I am in tech too and the same thoughts go thru my head nearly every day... I went into networking and later network security almost by accident when I was fresh out of school and said, ok, I'll do this for a while and leave... 13 yrs later still here... but I went to school with the intent of being a wildlife biologist... outdoors, studying and helping animal populations... for probably a lot less money...

I am really starting to think about how to get back to other options but in the meanwhile I try to remind myself of all that we have due to our tech careers.... my husband and I had this very conversation tonight, before I saw the thread.

hang in there and know that you are not alone!

ibpboo: You do one of the most UNDERAPPRECIATED jobs in the school! Thanks to all of you who put in the time and care to keep us and the kids fed! Enjoy your summer too.
Ron

Back
Top Bottom