Why did my 8 week old Pekin duck died

jvivanco

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 21, 2013
After what I think was a Racoon decimated my Khaki Campbells (5 of seven killed and one left with neck injuries and a broken leg) I purchased 9 Pekin and 3 magpie ducks. As of today they should be 8 weeks old. They have merged well with my 2 Khaki Campbell survivors and are growing a lot. They are beautiful. Yesterday when I went to the pen to feed them I found a gorgeous big white Pekin laying down without moving. She did not get up when I approached her. She could not walk, brought her inside the house gave her some liquid antibiotic, she had a hard time keeping her head up, and within 10 minutes she died in my arms. No visible injuries, she did not appear to have anything stuck in her throat. Could any one give me an idea of what may have killed her?

hugs.gif

Sorry about your loss. :(

What are you feeding them? Any supplements? Any metal or anything around that she could have eaten? I don't know, but those are the obvious questions.

After what I think was a Racoon decimated my Khaki Campbells (5 of seven killed and one left with neck injuries and a broken leg) I purchased 9 Pekin and 3 magpie ducks. As of today they should be 8 weeks old. They have merged well with my 2 Khaki Campbell survivors and are growing a lot. They are beautiful. Yesterday when I went to the pen to feed them I found a gorgeous big white Pekin laying down without moving. She did not get up when I approached her. She could not walk, brought her inside the house gave her some liquid antibiotic, she had a hard time keeping her head up, and within 10 minutes she died in my arms. No visible injuries, she did not appear to have anything stuck in her throat. Could any one give me an idea of what may have killed her?
Are you in the US? If so, where?

-Kathy

Hi Kathy,
I am in the USA, in a beautiful small town called Kennesaw in NorthWest GA about 40 miles NW of Atlanta.
Thanks,

José

Need help. I keep my flock of 13 ducks (11 of them are about 12 weeks by now, they seem fully grown. Two are my Khaki Campbell survivors 15 months old. I keep them inside a fenced pen, I want to let them out to free range (I am worried for there is a Hawk that I see often flying over) I would hang around while they free range. My question and fear is how to get them to get back in the pen when I have to go. Any advise on how to do that? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom