Why did my chicken lay two soft jelly-like eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Elizabeth1987, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Elizabeth1987

Elizabeth1987 In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2017
    Kansas
    Hello,
    My chicken laid two soft jelly-like eggs. One is the color of a normal egg by her breed (french marans), a dark brown egg, and the other is a very light brown/beige. Is something wrong with her or is this just a fluke? I have not owned chickens a year yet so this is the first time any of them have laid something weird.

Eggs.JPG

m1chelle1 likes this.
  2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    How old is she and has she been laying for a while before this happened?
    I would suggest giving her some oyster shells or dried eggshells for a calcium supplement.

Elizabeth1987 and m1chelle1 like this.
  3. Elizabeth1987

Elizabeth1987 In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2017
    Kansas
    She is about a year and a half, but I bought her full-grown a couple months ago with two others. Two of the three have started laying a few weeks after the move, but one hasn't. I am thinking it might have come from the one that hasn't been laying. Would that make more sense if it is a "first" egg?

Cyprus and m1chelle1 like this.
  4. Clemmy

Clemmy Chirping

Mar 16, 2018
    could be an infection. but if is a first egg, it is common that it would be a soft egg. I wouldent eat it.

5. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    Not necessarily. Softshell eggs happen every so often, depending on the chicken, and there is a possibility that this is completely normal. Id do what Cyprus recommended about the calcium supplement and see if its maybe a lack of calcium in the diet. I wouldn't worry TOO much about this, unless it is a common trend. If it occurs more than once in a while, then id say definitely look into it further :) I had a girl who had a softshell maybe once a month or so and there was nothing wrong with her whatsoever, she just happened to lay one occasionally. Each chicken is unique.
    Hope that helps :frow
    ~M

Cyprus and Elizabeth1987 like this.
  6. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Yes, it would make sense if it came from the hen that hadn't been laying.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Maybe...were they laying before you bought them?
    Might be start up glitches, we can hope so, hopefully you didn't get a 'lemon'.
    Supplements may or may not be needed.
    What and how exactly are you feeding?
    How did you integrate them into your existing flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: