Why did my chicken lay two soft jelly-like eggs??

Elizabeth1987

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2017
Kansas
Hello,
My chicken laid two soft jelly-like eggs. One is the color of a normal egg by her breed (french marans), a dark brown egg, and the other is a very light brown/beige. Is something wrong with her or is this just a fluke? I have not owned chickens a year yet so this is the first time any of them have laid something weird.

Eggs.JPG

Elizabeth1987

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2017
Kansas
She is about a year and a half, but I bought her full-grown a couple months ago with two others. Two of the three have started laying a few weeks after the move, but one hasn't. I am thinking it might have come from the one that hasn't been laying. Would that make more sense if it is a "first" egg?

Clemmy

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
could be an infection. but if is a first egg, it is common that it would be a soft egg. I wouldent eat it.

m1chelle1

Crowing
Jan 12, 2017
Central Florida Coast
She is about a year and a half, but I bought her full-grown a couple months ago with two others. Two of the three have started laying a few weeks after the move, but one hasn't. I am thinking it might have come from the one that hasn't been laying. Would that make more sense if it is a "first" egg?
Not necessarily. Softshell eggs happen every so often, depending on the chicken, and there is a possibility that this is completely normal. Id do what Cyprus recommended about the calcium supplement and see if its maybe a lack of calcium in the diet. I wouldn't worry TOO much about this, unless it is a common trend. If it occurs more than once in a while, then id say definitely look into it further :) I had a girl who had a softshell maybe once a month or so and there was nothing wrong with her whatsoever, she just happened to lay one occasionally. Each chicken is unique.
Hope that helps :frow
~M

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
but I bought her full-grown a couple months ago with two others. Two of the three have started laying a few weeks after the move, but one hasn't. I am thinking it might have come from the one that hasn't been laying. Would that make more sense if it is a "first" egg?
Maybe...were they laying before you bought them?
Might be start up glitches, we can hope so, hopefully you didn't get a 'lemon'.
Supplements may or may not be needed.
What and how exactly are you feeding?
How did you integrate them into your existing flock?

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom