Why did my hen attack me? I’m bleeding

kaylacampbell30

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2023
My hen attacked me and I caught it on camera. She’s only a few weeks away from being sexually mature and she’s growing increasingly aggressive towards me and her flock family. I was struggling to get them back in the coop after a long day in the run, and she randomly charged at me and cut my face with her feet. I’m completely stunned 😧 can anyone help me understand why she did this to me? I’m assuming she was mad because she wasn’t ready to go in the coop for the night? Either way, now I have a hole in my face, her nails punctured my skin badly

Attachments

• IMG_1232.jpeg
    IMG_1232.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1231.jpeg
    IMG_1231.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 82
Age? Where did you get her from? I'm assuming you know for certain that she isn't broody?
She is exactly 17 weeks old today. She doesn’t seem to be broody. She’s a Saffhire olive egger. I got her as a chick from a breeder and I raised her from a baby. She isn’t the sweetest bird in my flock but has never been this aggressive.

Sometimes it's hard to figure out why chickens do things but I would consider that behavior completely unacceptable and cull that bird immediately. Don't wait till she takes out an eye or harms one of your other birds.
Thank you for this advice! I definitely don’t want her to hurt the others in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom