Why did this happen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DucksOhio, Oct 16, 2017.

1. DucksOhio

DucksOhio Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2016
    Northeast Ohio
    One of beautiful 8 month old khaki girls died this morning and I have no idea why.
    She was energetic, swimming, eating and drinking well up to last night!
    This morning, she was the last to leave the house, and seemed a little lethargic, but still waddled with the others to the pond.

I checked on her about half an hour later, and she was still in the pond, but off to herself. She wasn't even interested in pea treat, which is very unusual.

I called my vet and made earliest appt. available which was tomorrow.

When I went back to check on her, about 45 minutes after last check in, she was gone. And I'm heartbroken.

What would cause this? She didn't show symptoms of being egg bound, or of any other infection. Her feathers were perfect, no signs of injury.

My only hope is that I gave her the best life. I truly did my best for her and the flock.

WVduckchick likes this.
  2. Sara Ranch

Sara Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2017
    *hugs*

Ducks go quickly.

Ducks need a LOT of protein! Are you providing 24-28% protein total? My local feed store will only sell up to 22% protein. I ferment the feed, so there's more nutrition (including protein) available for the animals. Then I supplement with other things. This morning, it was tuna added to the fermented feed.

*hugs* You probably need 10 more.

*hugs* x10

Smuvers Farm likes this.
  3. DucksOhio

Oct 17, 2016
    Northeast Ohio
    Thank you your feedback, and the hugs.

My local grain store actually recommended NOT too much protein. I buy 18%...have several males, and will never use my beloved ducks for meat birds.

Is 18% too low? They also free range and forage, and I give very generous amounts of thawed frozen peas in addition to the pellet food in their house. I also provide free choice oyster shells.

I adopted the initial flock from a neighbor who lost interest in caring for them. I am still learning, but these beautiful ducks are such a big part of my life now, and I really want to do the best for them.

4. J.R.

J.R. Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2017
    Ohio
    So very sorry for your loss. If you cared enough to “rescue” unwanted ducks, and are on here asking for guidance and answers, then you have no need to worry about the quality of life you provided. I hope someone more knowledgeable than I am can provide a possible reason for what happened.

Debs Flock and onaharley like this.
  5. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole Premium Member

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    WVduckchick likes this.
  6. onaharley

onaharley Chillin' With My Peeps

:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs
    I think that this what's the most scariest about handling our pets .....the unknown. I don't know the reason why but my thoughts and prayers are with you and your flock!

DucksOhio likes this.
  7. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2017
    This happened to one of my ducks. And I'm still not totally sure what happened. But the suddenness of it makes me think it was something she injested. It had been raining a lot at the time and there were a few mushrooms in the yard. I thought maybe she had ate one or got into a poisonous plant. It is pretty devastating. I'm so sorry!

8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm sorry you lost one. It's always heartbreaking. :hugs

Is there anything possible in your pond that may have bitten her? Turtles can be devastating to ducks. But any time I've see a turtle problem, the other ducks avoid the pond after such an instance.
    You mention food in their house, do they have water inside also? Ducks should always have water, when feed is available. They are usually fine without either overnight, so especially at 8 months, there is no need for feed inside if they are only in there to sleep.

was she laying yet? I know you said she didn't look egg bound, but maybe one broke inside her??

just the things that came to mind first. Hope you figure something out. :hugs

9. DucksOhio

Oct 17, 2016
    Northeast Ohio
    Thank yo these are good questions. We have small box turtles, no snappers. The other ducks swim fine, even after the ducks death.

I supply 10 gallons of fresh water in the duck house every night before they go in, and clean, scrub their food and water bowls daily.

Smuvers Farm likes this.
  10. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    My Coop
    Did you by chance do an autopsy to just see what you might find?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by