Why did you get your first chickens?

thumbsup.gif
We recieved 15 babies from my dad's fiend at work, then we raised them till they got older and found out they were all roosters, so they had to go because my dad's sleeping during the the day, here is a picture of my first babies

I like animals, and chickens are easy, cheap, and you can eat them...so we got some. Lol.

My parents and grandparents had them when I was a kid and I missed them. We always said we would have them, but kept putting it off for one reason or another. I saw the chicken exhibit at the county fair last year and knew I was not putting it off anymore. Best decision I have made in a while.

From the time I was 10 and my mom married my stepdad until we got out of it when I was in my teens we always had chickens. Eggs in the bator, chicks in the dining room and garage and eventually out into the coop. Last year the daughter of a friend who raises chickens started giving me her roosters to feed my dogs. I butchered close to 8 roosters and one day she gave me 3 of them. I didn't have time to butcher them so they stayed in a pen in my shed. 5 days later they had names and my husband and I were building a coop in the yard.

I still have those 3 roosters although now that they are older 1 or 2 will have to go. One because he is getting beat up by the roosters AND the hens, and the other who is just to big for my hens.

I have 7 babies in the brooder right now and eggs on the way to set next week. I have gotten back into chickens with a vengeance and am trying to figure out why I ever got out of them in the first place!

We got our chickens for the same reason that we have an herb and vegetable garden. I wanted to show my son that not everything has to come from walmart or kroger. My son and I visited my nieces farm where they had every creature imaginable. My son fell in love with the seramas. I told him that we were not going to get any birds that wouldn't pay they own way. A few weeks later we built a coop in our garage and got 4 pullets. A year and a 1/2 later we have 9 hens (2 of the original 4 are left) and enjoy the responsibility of being chicken ranchers.
I was rewarded one saturday morning when I was fixing eggs for breakfast and I asked my 8yr old if he wanted spinach in his eggs. His reply "heck yeah, I'll go get it!" Not evrything needs batteries or an electrical outlet.

We got our first chickens to save them from death row at the battery hen farm. In Australia we have a group called Animals Australia that are attempting to outlaw battery farming. We are members and supporters of this group, so we made our own personal little contribution by saving two "old girls" from one of these horrid places.

My daughter came to the AG store I was working at and she saw the chick display the store had out. It was around Easter last year. I got a surprise when I got home! She had talked mom into five chicks and three ducklings. $500.00 in building a coop and fifteen chicks later, we became "chicken farmers". It wasn't too hard for me to take on chickens. My grandpa and grandma always had chickens when I grew up and the same for my wife. I took over the chicken farmer duties from my daughter (Chickens weren't as fun as she thought) and it made for a fun hobby for me. Not only have we made new friends on-line here but made closer relationships with our friends and neighbors who often buy eggs from us.

We have a neighbor who had chickens and always talked about how much better the eggs were than those from the store and then a second neighbor got chickens. I talked my better half into letting me get four baby chicks. When we got those (which were Americaunas) we went to a feed store that had chicks and wound up with 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks. I had been sick and taking care of the chicks was the best therapy for me, so Hubby said. .

Back
Top Bottom