why do chickens eat there own eggs

Up the protein in their feed and have some oyster shell in a bowl on the side. I sometimes add food coloring to the oyster shell to make it more appealing if I notice thinning shells.
It could be due to either a lack of protein or calcium. Also sometimes they just get bored and look for things to entertain them.

It's hard to stop an egg-eater once they stop. Hens will eat their or other hen's eggs because they taste good and the shells provide minerals. Try feeding better feed, more treats, and give them exiting things to do inside their coop so they won't be bored. You can add herb pots, scratch baths, hanging cabbage, etc.

Welcome to BYC. Provide plenty of bedding in the nest boxes so that there is less chance of the eggs being cracked as they are laid. Frequent collecting of eggs and a curtain on the nest boxes can help. Adequate nutrition and calcium availability are necessary to assure strong shells. Placing ceramic 'nest eggs' in the nest boxes can help.

Never heard of this...good idea.

And I can't help but pose whether this would change the color of the birds egg shells.
I know it won't, but still... wouldn't that be fun!! :gig
they love the blue and green. The yellow and red weren’t hits. On some of the lighter brown shells I could see hints of green specks! Maybe I should try this again since my leghorn is laying. Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom