1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why do Chickens...? Rhetorical Question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by urban escapee, Dec 21, 2011.

1. urban escapee

urban escapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    So no real answers needed here, just those questions about the things your Birds do that make you shake your head.

Why do my ladies get so excited to see me that they crowd the door so I cant get in?

Why wont they let me touch them but insist on standing on or under my feet?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

There are answers to your questions, but they are pretty obvious [​IMG]

I get: "Why don't you have a rooster, you need a rooster for eggs" a lot. [​IMG]

3. urban escapee

urban escapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    LOL I get that one too. I also got (from a very educated man) dont the roosters lay eggs too?

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    Quote:

5. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Good questions, my girls do the same as yours...I don't think we'll ever really have answers to our chickens behaviors....LOL!!!!! I also get the question about how will I have eggs if I don't have a rooster....that question though I do have the answer to tell them--LOL!!

6. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens do it too. They crowd ya for the treats, obviously [​IMG]

Mine also want all of my attention but don't always want me to touch them.
    I'm trying to get them used to a little contact though, so I give them little neck scratches and lots of treats. They love when I just sit down and talk to them though [​IMG] They love my stories!

7. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Why do chickens... immediately scratch out all the new straw/hay when you put it in their nest boxes? Are the hoping that food has magically appeared underneath?

8. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Why do chickens insist on drinking out of a nasty disgusting puddle of stagnant water when they gave a clean bowl with fresh water 5 steps away?

Why do chickens continue to pick through the dog's fur when she is obviously not happy with this idea and is growling at them?

9. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    Silly girls! [​IMG]

Why do they insist on sitting in the dark kennel when the light is on in the coop a few steps away?

Why don't they know where the door to the yard is-after over a year-and run back and forth trying to get through the chain link?

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Why do they run with a "prize" in their beaks, squawking about it so everyone else knows they have something good to steal from them?

Why not keep one's beak shut about it!?!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by