Why do chickens Roar?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SilkieCanada, Sep 22, 2011.

1. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    More specifically why do my silkie roosters roar like a dinosaur?

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Because they ARE fluffy little dinosaurs.

3. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

And so true. [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If it is the sound I think you're talking about, it's a warning call, esp. when something flew over.

5. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:One way to make mine do it is pickup a hen and when she flaps her wings that flapping noise makes all the roosters go ROOOOAR. Or GROOOOWWWL.

6. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Mine did it when she was broody, she sounded just like a pteradactyl (spelling?) when we opened the nest box!

7. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    My roo will roar if I come into the coop after dark. I say it is a defensive sound. Letting you know to stay away.

8. umanduhbree

umanduhbree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    Oh I love the t-rex noise. Chickens are the closest living relative to the t-rex, after all. Mine seem to do it when something isn't right, either a hawk flies over, or I relocate a nesting hen, or get to close to something I shouldn't. I would have to agree with it being a warning call or defensive sound.

9. gypsychicken

gypsychicken Out Of The Brooder

TO MAKE US LAUGH OUR HEADS OFF, OF COURSE!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Talisman

Talisman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    Does it kinda sound like this? errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [​IMG] It's a sound that some kinda danger is around. Mine will make that noise if they see a shadow fly over the coop and will stand real still and make that noise. My best friend that works at a vet has some Emu's and when a large plane fly's over the male starts flopping around and kicking around like crazy It's sooo funny:weee He's trying to protect the eggs,but we have had lots of fun over there. It reminds me of a huge killdeer. Most of all I love the huge eggs and the color is so pretty oh and the babies:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by