Why do I beat myself up about butchering a few cockerels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so we butchered three 5 month old cockerel this morning. I feel bad. I hatched them and raised them. But with the virus I didn’t want to take them to the animal auction because of the risk although it hasn’t been reported in the area yet.. they were over breeding the hens, and fighting a little..

So please no harshness on this. I understand some are for food. I was raised on a farm and raising cattle for butchering is often what we did. I have a hard time with it when I get attached, this happened one year I refused to eat any beef for a long time. A calf had a hard birth and I took to spoil it. I begged dad not to butcher it.. he said suck it up.. lol. I just feel bad that animal trusted me and I go and kill it. Lol. Mind you that I am a hunter and go kill deer every year.
If it’s mine I have these crazy I feel bad feelings. If it’s not mine it doesn’t bother me..

I guess it’s different for me when raised.. its mixed feelings..

I know I am a weird-o
you have no reason to blame yourself. Unless you're a vegan you are a omnivore. These beautiful creatures feed us and sustain us. You took good care of them. You did your part. Our forefathers on the frontier had to make these decisions daily.

I'm going hunting hopefully this year. Im doing it with a crossbow. I can't wait!
I am using a crossbow now and hope to be able to get back into practicing with my primitive gear. This was my first love hunting with archery and reading about Fred Bear as a kid. I made every piece of equipment in the picture. (Not sure why its sideways, its not on my computer) I got away from it as turning from just hunting to self sufficient processing and cooking has drove my interests. I would love to get back to this if I can find time to start practicing every week.

I got recipes for Braunschweiger from deer meat and liver, going to be playing with picking hearts soon. I got recipes for deer sausages, snack sticks and bologna. I would love to hear some other recipes anyone else has. Mine are here https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/category/cooking/

I try to use every bit of the animal I can. I gave up on the flanks though. The rib meat has two layers and our fat does have two thick layers of fat in there. I rendered some out to make dog treats and said "Oh that looks good" and ate one. Damn if it didn't feel like I rubbed crisco on the roof of my mouth. 😩 I am saving the rendered fat for black powder lube and going to try making candles hopefully this summer. While gardening, raising chickens, building some projects and fishing.

Now you got a glimpse of why I can't find time to practice with my bow, because the squirrel brain of mine is like "Oh, something new, lets try it!"

Attachments

• Rob's short bow.jpg
    Rob's short bow.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 4
I am using a crossbow now and hope to be able to get back into practicing with my primitive gear. This was my first love hunting with archery and reading about Fred Bear as a kid. I made every piece of equipment in the picture. (Not sure why its sideways, its not on my computer) I got away from it as turning from just hunting to self sufficient processing and cooking has drove my interests. I would love to get back to this if I can find time to start practicing every week.

I got recipes for Braunschweiger from deer meat and liver, going to be playing with picking hearts soon. I got recipes for deer sausages, snack sticks and bologna. I would love to hear some other recipes anyone else has. Mine are here https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/category/cooking/

I try to use every bit of the animal I can. I gave up on the flanks though. The rib meat has two layers and our fat does have two thick layers of fat in there. I rendered some out to make dog treats and said "Oh that looks good" and ate one. Damn if it didn't feel like I rubbed crisco on the roof of my mouth. 😩 I am saving the rendered fat for black powder lube and going to try making candles hopefully this summer. While gardening, raising chickens, building some projects and fishing.

Now you got a glimpse of why I can't find time to practice with my bow, because the squirrel brain of mine is like "Oh, something new, lets try it!"
I use the rib meat to add fat as i grind the burger.
I too had a website with my own hunting videos (still find them on YouTube), trail cam pictures, stories, advice, recipes, etc. I loved it! The comment part and folks sending me their pix and stories was the best part, especially the kids. I love seeing young faces light up at the sound of a gobbler in the morning or when they put their hands on their first deer.

We moved even deeper into the mountains 2 yrs ago where we rely on satellite internet which is horrible. I can no longer upload the photos and videos so i had to shut it down.
I love deer liver and onions and stuffed heart. Honestly, I can't remember the last time we bought beef or meat for that matter. Our family will gift us some beef or pork at Christmas but 85% of our meat is wild game, 10% chicken (obviously) and the rest gifted pork & beef.

brand. we just mainly do the regular meat processing. I do make deer jerkey. Home made from scratch. No actual recipe just all the ingredients dumped into a bowl until it taste stronger than i want it to taste. Lol. The secret is in the liquid smoke.. i only buy hickory smoke, wrights brand.
With that I add, soy sauce, worchestire sauce, a little hot sauce, meat tenderizer, lemon pepper, steak sauce, garlic powder, accent. Let sit in the mixture at least over night..

I use con Yeager for bologna..

I have been given the nickname "the butcher" by my friends and their friends. One or two us grew hunting since we were kids. Three of my closest friends and hunting buddies did not. We turned them on to hunting and now they are passing it on to their kids.
I offered to show them how to process the deer properly, as friends do, but some are too busy or dont have a good place to do it and their wives aren't keen on bloody deer parts laying across their kitchen table. Mine couldn't care less so long as it gets cleaned up.

So now I butcher my deer and most of theirs and even some of their friends. I think i did 18 last year. They gut it though. My father always told me growing up " you kill it. you clean it." Its Its something i enjoy and i get a 12pk of beer or pint of Jack from each one out of gratitude.

I do all the standard cuts, plus jerky, bologna, keep livers and hearts. I love the Bazaar Foods guy Andrew Zimmern. He got me curious to try the testicles but I haven't worked up the nerve. Ive had them from calves but thats it.

I have been given the nickname "the butcher" by my friends and their friends. One or two us grew hunting since we were kids. Three of my closest friends and hunting buddies did not. We turned them on to hunting and now they are passing it on to their kids.
I offered to show them how to process the deer properly, as friends do, but some are too busy or dont have a good place to do it and their wives aren't keen on bloody deer parts laying across their kitchen table. Mine couldn't care less so long as it gets cleaned up.

So now I butcher my deer and most of theirs and even some of their friends. I think i did 18 last year. They gut it though. My father always told me growing up " you kill it. you clean it." Its Its something i enjoy and i get a 12pk of beer or pint of Jack from each one out of gratitude.

I do all the standard cuts, plus jerky, bologna, keep livers and hearts. I love the Bazaar Foods guy Andrew Zimmern. He got me curious to try the testicles but I haven't worked up the nerve. Ive had them from calves but thats it.
I'm planning on getting into butchering of other meat sources like pig, turkey, rabbit, and deer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom