Why do my chickens all cram into one coop to sleep when there is another coop almost empty?

rod5591

Songster
6 Years
Oct 15, 2017
Cookeville TN
I wondered where to post this and decided "chicken behavior" is best.

I started with 22 chicks. They are now 7 - 8 months old. 8 pullets (Group A) were from the Farm store and 14 (Group B - 9 pullets and 5 cockerils) were from a local farmer. The two groups were raised in separate brooders. When I was sure which were cockerels, I culled four of them, leaving 1 cockerel and 17 pullets.

I had bought two identical made-in-china coops, and when I moved the birds outside, Group A roosted in coop A and Group B (with the remaining Cockeril) roosted in Coop B. I lock the coops at night and open them in the morning. The chickens free-range in a big, fenced back yard during the daytime.

Over the past few months, the pullets from group A have been migrating to coop B to roost, even through there really is not enough room there. Last night, there was a lone pullet roosting in Coop A and 16 pullets crammed into Coop B with the Cockerel.

However, egg laying is about evenly distributed--1/2 the eggs are laid in coop A and 1/2 are laid in coop B. Eggs range from 12 to 14 per day.

I've been working on building
051818 chicken coops.jpg
a bigger coop, but I am not a carpenter and progress is slow. Heres my question: Should I just let the birds roost in whichever coop they want? Coop B gets filled with poop pretty quickly. Or should I force some of the birds to sleep in Coop A (by closing the door and locking down Coop B early.)

Any thoughts?

They're a flock now so they want to stay together.

I'm more amazed that 18 birds can fit in there to sleep!!

Well, they do it by partially roosting in the nest boxes. I think even if I were to place the coops side by side, and cut out one of the wire "run" panels, they are still going to be sleeping in the nesting boxes.

Also it's good they have formed a flock and not two groups, I agree with the shed idea, that's what I did, like already said, nothing fancy, a few nest boxes and one or two roosts.

I used cardboard boxes cut out for nest boxes, easily replaced if they get damaged.

If you do go for the shed idea, get some poop boards placed under the roost, a lot easier to keep the coop clean.

Back
Top Bottom