Why do our chicks constantly fly onto our heads/shoulders/backs?

twinkids*tripletchicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
We have almost 4-week old chicks who were very scared of us at first and wanted nothing to do with us. Now, however, they fight over who gets to sit on your head/shoulder. When I bend over to wipe up poop (which I am constantly doing because we are battling cocci), they fly and perch precariously on my back.

Here are my questions-
1. Should we allow them to do that? When they are full grown chickens they aren't going to be wanting to do that will they?
2. Why are they doing that? Is it to be in a higher spot? Even when I am hunched over cleaning and by far not the highest thing in the room, they still want to be on me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I guess they like to observe from the high vangtage point. I only let them as far as a knee. I got gashed on the shoulder and got an infection, staph I think. I did clear it up with peroxide, alcohol and methiolate. They can't get me thru jeans.

We also have 4week old chicks and one in particular likes to get up on my back, shoulders head. I thought it was cute at first- we called her nosey grandma always wanting to see what was going on, but then worried she is trying to be dominant. She is always the first one to check everything out though. I told her she is a chicken (not going to be fun when she is 7lbs) and not a parrot, even though I did go for a walk with her on my shoulder. But now I keep her off-didn't want to start a bad habit. I will still let her land on my knee and arm but want it to know that I am the BIG mama and she has to get permission be for flapping at me. Good luck!

I think they just want to be near you when they do that. I've got a Cream Brabanter hen, and she's a year old now, and she is very affectionate. If I don't pay her the proper attention when I go outside, she will fly at me and land right on my head, or my shoulders. If I'm bent over working, she will land on my back.

Soooo I have to hold her and pet and talk to her for a while. Then I can set her down and she'll go about her business. I do love her......She does scratch me sometimes when she's landing, but I know it's not intentional.

I have an EE hen who seems to think its hilarious to use my head as a spring board when she comes off the roost in the mornings. The first time it happened, I chalked it up to me being in the way- forgot about and moved on. The very next morning she did it again.............furious flapping from the roost to my head, then immediately launching her herself off into the run. I didn't forget this time, and stood back around the corner as everyone flew out.......except her. No way was I going to peak around the corner to see what was up
hide.gif
. Then I hear it............
D.gif
. I think I'm slick, "ha ha, not today you
rant.gif
". I've honestly never seen a chicken turn a corner like that while in flight
he.gif
So now I open the door and quickly walk away in the other direction. This bird is 2 years old, and we can go months without incident. If I slip up and forget, she reminds me. By jumping on my head first thing in the morning. I guess its not really the same thing, but thought I would share. If it were me I wouldn't allow them to fly up past my lap. Because it hurts to have a full grown chicken try to use your head a a landing strip.....trust me. Good luck!

I have one that started wanting to hang out with me around 4 weeks of age also - I would put my hand in the brooder and she would step up and climb up to my shoulder. I was fine with that at first. Then one night after a VERY long day at work, I came home and was fixing their water/food, and she climbed up while I was doing that...and proceeded to poop on my sweater/in my hair. Then, while I was in the shower washing the poop out of my hair, my husband nicely threw the sweater in the washing machine - without taking my phone out of the pocket. So...we are allowed to hang out on my arm now. No more shoulder.

I think the whole thing about parrots being "dominant" when allowed to be on your shoulder is Hogwash. I personally don't let my chickens on my shoulders or especially my head just because I don't want to be pooped on there! It's bad enough when my cockatiel does it. LOL

My birds fight for perching space wherever on my body there happens to be a horizontal spot. I let them. They never poop on me, but wait until they get put down. I love my chickies snuggling with me!! Some of my really old biddies will sit with me for hours on my lap while I read, and then get down, poop, take a drink and have a brawl with whoever jumped up.

"Move your feet, lose your seat! Bok!!!"

Back
Top Bottom