Why do people keep Heads & Legs

sickbyc.gif
:sick I can't imagine boiling my meaties feet for broth. The look totally disgusting!
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
If that is how you were raised then don't give your dogs bones.
I was raised always to give the dogs raw meat and raw bones. Never have had a problem in my 50 years of giving raw meat/bones. The less commercial food the better but that is JMO on feeding my dogs.
Just different up-bringing.

Actually, almost all of the U.S. commercially produced chicken feet are sent to China where they're considered a delicacy. I've had them there, and really they're not half bad if they're fixed right.

Quote:
Cooked chicken bones (leftovers from dinner) are bad bad bad because of splintering, but RAW chicken is the staple of a lot of rawfeeder's diets due to the low cost compared to other meats. To train a kibble dog not to gulp down bones when you transition them to a raw diet you are supposed to give items larger than the dog's head --- I started my Lab mix off on whole chickens.
A dog that is used to chomping bones won't be likely to try and swallow one whole.

three of my roosters went to the freezer coop on wensday... my sister in law took one and the feet, heads and the testicles... she loves them.. but they are from Europe... most Europeans grew up eating and using all of the animal... no waste... I personally can't do it... maybe not hungry enough...
lol.png

When I worked at the processing plant for Tyson Foods they kept the feet and sent them to China. I think it's just disgusting myself especially after watching what my chickens walk throuh. But then again, I love gizzards. The head, YUCK. I saw a package of head cheese at the store one time that actually had a slice of eyeball showing. I just about lost my lunch. NOt my cup of tea, thats for sure.

Quote:
I was raised always to give the dogs raw meat and raw bones. Never have had a problem in my 50 years of giving raw meat/bones. The less commercial food the better but that is JMO on feeding my dogs.

used to give our dogs bones till they started having problems with them getting stuck and broken teeth. No bnes for dogs here. My chow mix recently passed away at 14 year old and the vet said she had great teeth besides the chipped one from a bone. I never brushed her teeth. So giving them bones to clean their teeth isn't necessary. They have things at the store for that.

Quote:

used to give our dogs bones till they started having problems with them getting stuck and broken teeth. No bnes for dogs here. My chow mix recently passed away at 14 year old and the vet said she had great teeth besides the chipped one from a bone. I never brushed her teeth. So giving them bones to clean their teeth isn't necessary. They have things at the store for that.

It all depends on what type of raw bones you give. "Wreck" bones like femurs, knuckles, even pork or beef neck bones can break and chip teeth. They are also thicker and when eaten don't always digest well and are often barfed up (atleast mine tend to). Yea, there's stuff in the store to "clean" teeth that dogs can chew on but it's all full of junk or is just a hunk of plastic.

I spent two years in Ecuador.

Innumerable are the times I was given a bowl of chicken w/ rice soup and was greeted either by a head or a foot.

I about puked the first time.

But, I watched someone prepare it once and they make certain that the foot and head is very clean and they boil them A LOT before they add the other ingredients. They say it adds flavor.

Go fig.

Quote:
As a general rule among rawfeeders, you avoid weight bearing bones that come from large animals such as cows. femurs and knuckle bones being pretty bad on the list. I've never had a problem with any pork neck, rib or leg bones, or rib bones from cows, but that's the upper limit for my dogs. I'm sure it depends somewhat on the size and breed of the dogs.
Again, RAW chicken bones are prime for the rawfeeder because they are easy to chew and digest due to the lightweight density.

Back
Top Bottom