Why do people think I'm crazy???

Quote:
I tend to be friends with people who grow their own food, or are at least conscious of what they consume, and what they buy in general. I might overhear things strangers say, but rarely does someone bother me personally. I'm known as the chicken lady at work even though I don't have any chickens. I'm not quiet about it.

But still, I'm jealous of you in a way... Many people in my area are phony environmentalists that are loud, but fake. Those people drive me even more crazy!
he.gif

Quote:
I tend to be friends with people who grow their own food, or are at least conscious of what they consume, and what they buy in general. I might overhear things strangers say, but rarely does someone bother me personally. I'm known as the chicken lady at work even though I don't have any chickens. I'm not quiet about it.

But still, I'm jealous of you in a way... Many people in my area are phony environmentalists that are loud, but fake. Those people drive me even more crazy!
he.gif

I grew up in the Pacific NW, and I guess you could call me a tree-hugger, but I try to be realistic, not fake! And you are right that many in your area talk the talk but are phoney to the core..it is really to bad for the rest of us.

I get this too! Just last weekend for Easter, One of my sisters from the city actually was shocked that I had chickens that layed eggs, she said she would never think of spending money on them or thier feed and that I bottled my own fruits and veggies, she was looking through some of my cabinets and saw all the bottles and was like "Your so country now." I just said, "thiers nothing wrong with that". She just gave me this wierd look. But of course she has money, lives in the city and doesn't worry about the economy stuff. Well if all else fails, atleast I'll have my bottled fruits and veggies from my own garden and chicken and eggs to eat!

Quote:
My friends had a majorly ugly barn/chicken coop, and no one else cared a bit since I was perfectly functional... But then they got new neighbors who proceeded to edge the property line with a hedge- just to block the view. We got a kick out of it because they didn't bother to WATER the hedges, so they repeatedly died and were replanted.
lau.gif

But seriously, most people live in their little plastic, air conditioned, filtered world... We live in the REAL world!

I have no problem buying eggs or meat from the grocery store. I need to eat. I need to feed my family. I don't have property for livestock. And after 10 months I finally have a yes for chickens next spring. I eat store bought eggs and I love them. When I have my own I'll love them. I can't raise enough chickens to keep my freezer full because while we can have a good amount of them we eat alot of chicken. When I do get at least some laying hens I'm gonna remember not to look down on others who get their eggs and meat from the grocery store.

Quote:
I don't look down on anyone who buy from the grocery, to each their own... I think this thread is about those who buy from the grocery and don't 'get' the home grown philosiphy.

Quote:
didn't you know that grocery stores have amazing little machines that artifically make meat? duhhhh.

JUST KIDDING!!!! yeah, it drives me insane too! i don't like eating meat in general, but just the conditions the commerical animals are kept in are just horrible.

People give me that same look a dog has when hearing a high pitched whistle, when I talk about raising our own chickens and getting fresh eggs. Them I hear them say they play golf and give them the same look back.
tongue.png

For years, my family and friends have thought I was strange, for planting fruit trees, brambles, berry bushes, grape vines and one whopper of a garden...canning and freezing every yr. They thought we had lost our minds when we first got our beef cattle (until they were given some of the meat
roll.png
), They shake their heads when they see my bee hives...They made fun of me when I had my goats and now I hear the laughter at my chilckens...

I am, way, beyond trying to figure them out and I do not care what they say... I am more healthy, I have a nice little nest egg, I love being me....Enjoy you animals and hold your head high!!!!

Back
Top Bottom