Why do their feet look weird?

WOW, I always saw gal and not geek...OOPSIE- senior moment!
hide.gif
smile.png

No problem, except that now you've got all my birds double-checkin' ~'-)​

Could it be ammonia burns from the wet ground with poop mixed into it? Looks like there soft tissue between the toes is burned and inflamed.

Are they living in damp conditions mostly? If so can you make them a new run that is dry?

Could it be ammonia burns from the wet ground with poop mixed into it?  Looks like there soft tissue between the toes is burned and inflamed.

Are they living in damp conditions mostly?  If so can you make them a new run that is dry?

This is interesting, and never thought about that...but IS good thinking there jak2000300303030 [oopsie got carried away] :oops:

We have been having a lot of rain recently and the ditch and their coop got flooded. The water has gone down now, and I completely cleaned their entire coop and put down loads of fresh hay so they couldn't feel moisture. If it is the amonia burns, will it heal itself now that the coop is clean or is there something I can do to help them? I can't move the them because the only other coop I have is too small for all of them and currently full of bantams. The best I can do as far as that goes right now, is blocking them off from the ditch until they find a way through the fence again.

We have been having a lot of rain recently and the ditch and their coop got flooded. The water has gone down now, and I completely cleaned their entire coop and put down loads of fresh hay so they couldn't feel moisture. If it is the amonia burns, will it heal itself now that the coop is clean or is there something I can do to help them? I can't move the them because the only other coop I have is too small for all of them and currently full of bantams. The best I can do as far as that goes right now, is blocking them off from the ditch until they find a way through the fence again.

If there is a strong odor of ammonia, that might be a possibility ... I still suspect infection, possibly from the ditchline. Even if it's not currently an infection, the irritations make excellent entry points for bacteria and fungii. At minimum, I'd wash and treat their feet as if they were infected, which would serve to prevent one -- look into finishing w/ nu-stock or bag balm or udder cream.

Having proper ventilation w/in the coop is of greater benefit to your birds than heat, most especially when it ain't all that cold. Keepin' the foundation area dry is your best defense against a wet floor (sharp ditches and drains close to the building, and possibly gutters to collect the water that comes off the roof), and air movement is req'd to get the water out -- you could even put a fan in it, for use in the daytime.

You might wanna rebuild your fences so as to contain 'em short of standing water ... that's most probably the cause of your current problems, and would be an excellent source of troubles down the road. One of the least favored tasks, when the ground is wet, cold and mucky, is crawlin' around on it to repair the bottom, so I'd consider cuttin' a roll into much shorter wire, and just follow the ground w/ it, tying into the other wire as req'd.

The swelling is a liitle bit around their toes. The coop is well ventalated. I'll wash their feet as soon as I get a spare minute and this weekend I'll try to block them off from the ditch, at least for a few weeks.
smile.png
It will probably be a funny attempt at putting up fence because I'm very clumsy and I don't know much on building and stuff like that, but I'll give it my best try!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom