Why? Do they hate to roost.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doghamstyluv95, Oct 7, 2007.

1. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    My chickens hate to roost on the perches that we have for them. They have to sleep on a table because when we remove the table, they will not sleep on the roosts, they sleep in a corner on the floor. Anyway to fix this? The thing is that when they sleep on the table, they sleep in their poop and I know that this is not healthy at all.

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    do you have silkies? silkies dont roost. um.. what are you using for a roost right now?

3. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    We have 1 silkie, the rest are regular chickens.

We have wood for the roosts but like I said they never use them.

4. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    are they round? how big is the diameter?

5. chickenworld

chickenworld Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2007
    My chickens at first also didn't roost at all on their wooden perches. But then I ajusted it and I placed them on it to show them where it was and now they sleep there every night (I've also read that they much prefer roosting than sleeping on the ground). I hope I've helped![​IMG]

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They may not like the size, shape, material, height or position of the roost. Can you describe your roost a little more or possibly post a picture? That might help.

Or, they are just peculiar. [​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would venture to guess they like to sleep on the table because their feet can be flat. Unlike most birds, they do not hold the perch they sleep on. Wider roosts?

8. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Chickens also go through a phase around 7-10 weeks, somewhere around there, where they seem to like to sleep on the floor, but I agree that you also may need to use a different material.. 2x4's wide side up works for my chickens.

9. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    I'm having a problem with roosting as well. Hopefully your answer will help me too. I have a coop with four top hats. They used to sleep on the floor and now they sleep on top of the light fixture. It is a fluorescent light about three feet long and two feet wide with about 6 to 8 inches from the ceiling. One night I went into the coop and they were gone. I just happened to hear a noise and looked up and they were looking down at me!

Today I put chicken wire around the light so they can't get up there. I'm hoping they will roost on the 2x4 perches. If there is a secret to get them to roost I want to know too....

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You may have to put them on the roost after dark.
    As mentioned, if the roost doesn't support them comfortably, they won't use it.
    We use 2 x 4s with the wide side up so they have lots of area to tuck their feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by