Why Do They Have To Get Old!

thudson

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Gatesville Texas
:hitYou know sometimes it seems so hard to let things go as we age. I recently posted a story on my dear Anabel a Rhode Island Red hen that I raised up from a chick 6-7 years ago and she was so special to me and she was my first chick when I started back up raising chickens. Well she passed a way just a few weeks ago. Now she had a sister named Isabel, my last Rhode Island Red hen. Well I went to check on my girls last night (as usual) and there below the roost lay Isabel. She was not dead yet but she was close. So I sat with her a while and held her in my lap until the end. I love raising chickens and I love seeing the chicks grow. But it sure is hard when they get too old to lay and then they just seem to grow old so fast. I guess I am getting old:old when it gets to me like this. So I will say a little prayer and watch my next little chick grow!:jumpy

It is so great to have folks just like me, young and old that care for their flocks as much as I do. All of you here that replied have showed this old man:oldthat us folks here at the BYC do care for our flocks and each other. Most of us have just met through:cafbut by just words we help each other, encourage each other, and :lau:hit:celebrate. So from this old man:old thank Y'ALL so much, you really are helping me :love.

:clapI think that's a wonderful idea! I just had my first incubator chick hatch for this year, got two more almost out and couple working on it. :love
Just love those little fluffies!:D
I got six in Incubator just waiting on hatch day.:jumpy ( Day 9 right now ) But I do have 8 in the brooder now and they are 5 weeks old.:thumbsup But none are Rhode Island Red, I guess I need to fix that!:yesss:

Oh man. I'm sorry about your hen.:( The first hens I got were warrens (ISA Brown). I had two die in my arms last year. I found both of them under the wheelbarrow after dark when all the rest went to roost. I knew what was going to happen. I just held them. It was so upsetting seeing them go. Two others were found on the coop floor in the morning. I have had other hens go for one reason or another but these hens are special. I have one left now. ISA hens aren't bred to live all that long so I'm expecting something to happen. She looks fine now but you never know. Good luck with your hatch at least they will keep you on your toes!!:)

I'm SO sorry for your loss!! I understand, there are so many out there with special little individual personalities!! You're in the right place, because when people like us try to go into the world talking about how much we love our chickens, they just don't get it (and think were crazy). Im excited for your new chicks and new raising adventures :thumbsup:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

I have an old black Australorp, Noire, 7 years old this year, still talking to me and asking specifically for the dried worms and I love her very, very much. She still lays an occasional egg for which I am always grateful. I know her time is coming and I hope that I can be there as you were there for yours, to send her to her next adventure with her knowing that she was well loved.
I have just hatched out 18 chicks, beautiful, fluffy, healthy little bundles and I am again filled with love for each one. Ain't love grand??:love

Sorry for your loss! :hugs

6-7 fantastic years with you, I'm sure!

Do you think Isabel passed away because she wanted to follow Anabel? I could imagine that!
I truly believe that because they were always together.plus she only laid 1 more egg after the day Anabel passed. She never seemed like herself after that.

Back
Top Bottom