Why do you keep ducks???

Quacking

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 23, 2010
Hi to everyone with ducks out there. I have had ducks most of my life- but am new to using forums. I have raised about 10 different breeds over the years but just as pets and love ducks for their wonderful character and personalities, and of course love them for all the different colours ande sizes they come in. It was my mum who encouraged my love of ducks, and bought me my first ones when I was four years old. I have kept ducks ever since and did show one of mine for the first time this year. It was a really fun experience which has made me look to keeping ducks for other reasons not just as a pet.

So I was just wondering, when did you all get ducks, and why do you have them. Do you keep them just as pets or for the eggs or meat? I guess some of you keep them for show and just for the preservation of the breed. I would love to chat with people about what they find so endearing about these webbed footed marvels.

For there beauty
48551_105_2940.jpg

48551_105_2933.jpg

48551_105_2927.jpg

48551_105_2899.jpg

48551_105_2942.jpg

p.s. don't mind the dates on the pics. My camera resets itself when you put new batteries in.

Last edited:
KansasKid those mandarin drakes are simply gorgeous. I have only ever kept domestic ducks, but in the future would love some ornamentals.

Mine haven't quite yet got all of there new feathers. My two drakes still lack the there small white sails. But i love them.
Not the calmest duck in the world, it takes having the ringed teal with them to calm them down a bit for me to get even a yard from them.
But most of the time I can enjoy watching them from the outside of there pen and they don't mind.
Warning once you get into the non-domestics and discover all the beautiful breeds you'll want them all. Or at least thats how i feel
roll.png
gig.gif

because. Yep, that's about what it boils down to lol

We had ducks when I was 4 or 5 maybe. When I flew down to take care of the details of buying this house, I drove by some places with chickens. Then flew down again a month later with DH to show him the house and see the area and try to close and told him then I wanted some ducks once we got settled in. We did some research, decided on a breed (he wanted eggs if I was having ducks) and I ordered ducks after I had the house and yard as done as I could while DH was at an isolated duty station.
Since then, they've been entertainment.
Noisy, messy entertainment lol

I have 3 runner girls and enjoy having them.

Thanks all for your replies so far..And for the pictures added too. Rainplace- are they Cayuga or BEI Ducks - or some of each, they look different sizes.

awesomefowl Maybe you should think about getting some- this thread interested you enough to make a comment on so why not at least tell us why you dont have any then.

I'll be showing mine for the first time next month, but I would keep them just because they are wonderful.
I have absolutely fallen in love with Call ducks-they're loud, messy, bossy and adorable.
love.gif

Rainplace, you're pictures are gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom