Why do YOU keep quail?

Why do I have quail? Well that's a good question!
I went to school for vet school, I was living in a wealthy town in Chicago and of course the family ambitions were for children to be wealthy doctors. Well, in 2005 I went to Oregon for school and studied pre-vet med, worked in the labs with coturnix and came home with Stella, a day old pharaoh. I fell in love with poultry science, genetics, and avian embryology. Added another major to my major (had to keep the one to make parents happy). I had a quail breeding operation in Oregon, sold eggs and chicks just to pay for feed and my two bedroom apartment
smile.png
I also worked at the poultry unit at school so I "borrowed" facilities to use as well for birds. Graduated in 2009 and continued my passion: high quality birds with the best genetics I can breed and study. Working on size, color variety, helping others as much as I can. Teamed up with some folks. This is a great passion of mine and business. I love it with all my heart.

I have other poultry as well but the quail will have a special part in my heart always as they helped me find my way from societal expectations. I wouldn't be who I am without the help of others so I am returning the favor by educating and continually providing good stock to those interested.

I wanted to start my post with practical, rational answers. Eggs are nice, DD loves her very own tiny hard boiled eggs. I'll be processing for the first time later today, so meat may be a good reason. But those aren't the real answers.
Truly, I keep them because I like them. I like how they look. I like how they sound. I like to watch the goobers act, well, goobery!
gig.gif
My little dorks are going to be a new learning experience for me for quite some time to come and I anticipate enjoying thier company ( the species, not individuals) for many years.

Quote:
Anyone who uses the word "gooberly" rocks in my book!
wink.png
keep it up!

X2 !!

I have been known to call mine "dorks" to... lol...

I have them because my love for small parrots and finches snowballed into quail and doves. It' just seemed my aviary needed something on the bottom... so we got Quail and I fell in love with everything about them.

We have our "pets" for eggs and enjoyment in the Aviary, and we will hatch eggs from them for meat. I am also hoping to do some selective breeding for color.

I like birds. I haven't tried quail meat yet, but do intend on eating some, and eggs too. I also got them because I like hatching, and since quail hatch, grow fast, and don't take up as much room as other poultry they seemed like a logical choice.

Ok Mo I will buddy list you. Fatdaddy told me he'd give me some pharoh eggs too and I really want some bird from alex too. I need to get my place secured next fall, pens and a couple bigger brooders built, then start getting birds. I might need to get a bigger bator too but I don't want to hatch to many.

Quote:
Heck if you catch me at the right time I might even throw the eggs in the incubator and hatch them for you to get some baby birds instead of eggs lol, I love hatching and always hatch beyond my means so I am always giving away chickens and quail lol

I got them because I wanted to get more self sufficient with the food I am feeding my family. We just bought a home with 4 acres and I hope to alot more. When I was a kid, my father dabbled in quail, chickens, rabbis, etc... so I learned a little growing up. Quail seemed to be a good learning tool for me as well as my kids on what it means to raise and process your own food. So far I have loved the journey with them.
My and my 8yr son processed all our extra roos last weekend and we had them for sunday dinner. At first my kids were leary off eating the cute birds they saw, hatch but lucky they tasted so good that they got over that hesitation.
Tuesday we will be setting our 1st batch of eggs from or cots. Me and my kids are still aas excited as we were the 1st time we set eggs in the incubator.

Quote:
Heck if you catch me at the right time I might even throw the eggs in the incubator and hatch them for you to get some baby birds instead of eggs lol, I love hatching and always hatch beyond my means so I am always giving away chickens and quail lol

I like to hatch too and my current bator will hold 120 ( I just need to get the $20 part to fix it) so thats no problem. I think I'm going to set up for 18 quads (18 roos over 54 hens for a total of 72) and they will be penned in colonies of 12, I hope this works but, I might need to get a sports man with that many eggs. I want to sell ready to process males and started pullets at 6-8 weeks and then I'll work on other venues. I want to keep some eggs and process some for myself too and work on my line.

Back
Top Bottom