Why do you like the pied pattern? or white eyes.

Knix6468

Songster
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Gaston Oregon
My DH and I have had many discussions about Pied birds.

I fall on the side of wanting to see a beautiful single colored birds, I tend to like India blue Black shoulders over regular india blues for that reason. However, we have a Opal that is not a BS and he is just as beautiful to me. When I see a Pied I see a spotted bird, the spots to me are imperfections, like someone has thrown bleach on the birds and damaged parts of the bird.(maybe because i am a red head with freckles I have personal bias against spots).
hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif

We have gotten chicks that are pied this year and I just really am having a hard time thinking that they are "great". however I am curious how the one with evil looking eyebrows will turn out.

My DH thinks that Pied and white eyes are beautiful. He dotes on pictures and he is so excited with our our Pied baby chicks. He tries to motivate me to like the new chicks because they will throw solid birds in the future, but that is 3+ years down the road.

So Why do you like pied?

Personally, I like pied because every one is different. I also love the contrast of white and color on the bird. Pied girls are awfully pretty too. We have two different silver pied boys but it's really easy to tell them apart because they both do look different (one has more color in his train), that is not the case with the two BS boys we have though.

I like white eyed for the contrast as well, love the way the white stands out from the color. We have an Opal white eye that is quite the show off.
31148_dsc_1085apr13.jpg

It really is a personal preference though, everyone likes different things. Some people like the bright colors of the blues, purples and javas while others like the understated beauty of the opals, bronzes and charcoals. Others like the lighter cameo, peach and taupe. and still more love the beauty of the white. I love them all but tend to prefer the bronze, DH on the other hand loves peach. We've found the best way around that is to keep some of each.
gig.gif
Haven't seen the voileta in person yet (hope to this year) but from the pictures I've seen it looks beautiful as well, trying to convince DH we need to add those as well.

We do have one boy that is not pied or white eyed but does have white in him. he is, hands down, my absolute favorite bird ever (also my avatar).
31148_dsc_0181.jpg

Personally I love the pied birds for a lot of reasons. The foremost being because they are beautiful and remind me of paint horses/mustangs, or perhaps I think of them sort of like a painting in the works- instead of looking at them like a bird that's been bleached, I think of them like a bird that's still being colored in! I'm a sometimes artist, and seeing them always makes me feel creative, like I could paint in the white on them any color and have something even more exotic. And of course, it makes the girls something more than just "brown" with some green, gives them a little flare. They deserve it too!

I also love them because I love the genetics behind pied animals and leucism. I love them because they shouldn't for any reason BE- in the wild most pied animals (and there are many pied animals that have existed, not just peafowl and not even just birds) do not live long enough to breed or cannot find mates because they don't look "right" to the others of the species... but it sort of stands for something in my mind that not only do pied peacocks exist, but the peahens accept and breed with them and give me warm fuzzies over their tolerance.

Back
Top Bottom