Why do you own guineas and can you post pics of yours?

We originally got guineas because my DS's friend had keets they were giving away and we knew they were great for eating ticks. Living in the Pinelands we have tons of ticks. We learned how funny they are and then when we found that none of their eggs were fertile (tried hatching in an incubator as well as under broody ducks) my MIL, DH and DS started to eat the eggs. They say they are very tasty. I myself have not tried them. We got new keets over the summer, so hoping this spring we will have some of our own keets. And they come in so many neat colors. And of course the keets are so darn cute!
Kiss our royal purple
DSCN2200.jpg

Guineas teasing the dogs who were inside.
28423_ry3d4002.jpg

Their eggs are neat and can look different every day.
DSCN1905.jpg

DS with his babies. Hershey, Kiss and Bliss.
DSCN1892.jpg

Last edited:
we got 6 adults and 5 babies for my birthday present.
we let them out a little to early(the adults) and all but 2 dissapeared.
then once the female started laying we hatched out about 18 under broody hens.
then we got more then got rid of some. now we are down to 1 of the originals adults, 2 of the ones we hatched out, and 1 we bought somewhere else. (cant remember)

coleschickenpictures057.jpg

coleschickenpictures056.jpg

coleschickenpictures055.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Ya know, these birds are either pretty old or they have a bit of another type of Guinea in them....

coleschickenpictures057.jpg

The helmets almost look like a different species of Guinea....

15239_chart.jpg

They MAY be the Somaliensis. Most of us in the USA have the Sabyi running about.

The other three are very unlikely as they are a rarer species and most can not tolerate the cold weather.

You can go here to view a discussion on helmeted Guinea Fowl. I learned a lot....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=255593

Last edited:
they are pretty old actually. well the ones in the pictures. the last two are this years hatch.

Last edited:
Please do not misread.... There are a few species of Guinea Fowl that WILL NOT tolerate the cold.

The Sabyi and Somaliensis have been heavily domesticated and can tolerate the cold pretty well.

However, do be diligent that your birds do not get wet and then face the cold.

This is a real problem for Guinea Fowl and it should be avoided. They are not the smartest thing so this is one area that you must intervene with.

Remember, Guinea fowl other than the two species that are commonly called "domesticated" (Sabyi and Somaliensis); have a heritage in the plains of Africa that have not been breed out with a number of generations.

For instance, the Reichenowi REQUIRE a heated enclosure for the winter. Visit the "spectrum ranch" to view these birds.

some on here "diss" me because I am so very careful that my birds are protected from frostbite. No animal should endure such a problem even though it may be through their own stupidity.

Thanks! i have tried to at least get them to sleep on the porch with a heat light, but they still go up to their tree, they won't go to the chicken coop- we should start warming up tomorow, it has been dry and frigid- i give them alot of feed, scratch etc- not sure what else i can do to protect them...
hmm.png

How are guineas as guard birds? I have a free range chicken flock and also a hawk problem. I've heard guineas will watch the skies and let the chickens know so they can run. Any thoughts? Oh and should i get keets or adults? Sorry if i should have start my own post.

Back
Top Bottom