Why do you own guineas and can you post pics of yours?

I ended up with mine kind of on impulse, because I love raising different kinds of poultry. That said, I think they're fun to have around! They're quite the clowns. They also do an excellent job serving as guards of the coop, as if anything happens out there we're certain to hear about it.

These aren't the best pictures because they were molting at the time, but still, here they are:

Misc146.jpg

Cornelius, our male.

Misc136.jpg

Pearl, our lavender female.

Misc159.jpg

And Pearl with our other female guinea fowl, Diamond.

My hubby built me an incubator and his uncle asked us if we'd hatch some guinea eggs for him and he'd give us half...well...given about 130 eggs...about 100 hatched..we ended up with about 50....We kept 14 and sold the rest...if you watch chicken tv...it is even better when you add guineas...they are the funniest things to watch...they also are good guard "dogs"...kill snakes etc...They are noisy to some but I actually enjoy the sounds they make....I just have trouble telling them apart...so, if anyone can help..please do...
these were about 5-6 months old in pics...

They follow my barred rock around like she's their mother...

Here they are when they were keets....

we originally got them for tick control, but they are comical little guys- traveling in a squad- always making us laugh, ours are friendly, will come check out what we are doing- some folks think they are brainless, but you can see them interacting and thinking about things- they aren't like chickens, but we really enjoy having them- we live on ten acres, so their noise isn't an issue, can't imagine having them in town, folks just wouldn't appreciate their commentary on what they see- they also come and look in the windows-

IMG_0267.jpg

Nov10046.jpg

ginni.jpg

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

P1140503.jpg

I got them sorta on a whim. Lavenders at first, because some one hatched out a boat load of them. Then as time went on I got more and more. I am up to 32 now. The are wacky things always traveling about the property in droves and ALWAYS talking to each other and of course speaking up just for the heck of it.

I love 'em and I want even more.

15239_peeps_026.jpg

15239_peeps_025.jpg

15239_peeps_011.jpg

EDT:

BTW I think this pic is great:

Nov10046.jpg

It really seems to capture the Guinea Fowl heart and soul. They are such happy birds when they are care for.

Last edited:
i love them, they are so funny to watch great watchdogs, and in my opinion beautiful birds. Just plain great to have around i only have 2 now but will be ordering 25 or 30 more this spring. the 2 i currently have are pearl but i want different colors on my list is the royal purple, lavenders, buff,and more pearl. also great meat bird

20950_p1080373.jpg

there is something about barred rocks that guineas like, as they are attachted to ares as well
20950_p1080027.jpg

20950_p1080222.jpg

Here are our older ones. we used to have four but one died and we got rid of another so we are down to two. but I have hatched 18 more since as our older ones started laying.

31066_p1000016.jpg

and our new ones with the light sussex.

31066_p1000009.jpg

and our newest

31066_p1000149.jpg

Back
Top Bottom