Why do you raise quail?

johnElarue

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 6, 2008
Japan
Intrigued by the photos and posts here in Other Birds.....

A question, why do you raise quail? Is it for eggs, meat or pets?

Here in Japan quail eggs are available in most every supermarket, yet I've never seen quail meat sold. I have however seen pricey imported frozen quail available here on the internet as a delicacy aimed at foreigners living here and restaurants . Are you all supplying this quail?

Sounds interesting,

Thanks,

John

John,
I have some Texan A&M hatching as I type. I got them because.............I have not clue. LOL I asked the same question, What am I going to do with these chicks? I would like to use the eggs for pickling, try some meat, and release some. (Yes I have the permits
wink.png
) So that is my reasons for getting them.
big_smile.png

Edited to add....

WELCOME!! Hope you enjoy the BYC!!

Last edited:
Quote:
It would vary on the species you want to work with. The two most discussed on this forum are the Bobwhite, which are reared for sporting purposes, meat and the Coturnix (Japansese) for eggs and meat.

There are a number of species that are kept for simple avicultural enjoyment and some for conservation (my focus is the aviculture & conservation education side of the fence, I'm not a hunter or raise birds for meat). Our quail section at gbwf describes a few of the species seen in our aviaries.

Dan

I got into Coturnix Quail for the soul purpose of helping train my cocker spaniels to flush and retrieve birds. I have now fallen in love with my first batch of quail so they are now my BREEDERS and not my training tools. However any that die (one did) are frozen and used to train my dogs on and they do great.

So now, they are mostly here for my genetic passion, as well as training my dogs, and I just love them as pets, I call them "Mini chickens". They are very friendly and curious and make really cute noises not very much different from chickens IMO.

I'll eat their eggs and meat...quail meat IS delicious!!! I think it's my over all favorite bird meat now!
I have never tried the eggs yet but plan to next season.

My Coturnix come in normal wild type "pharoah", golden, and Tibetian. So I have three types to start working with and I plan to incorporate other types as well. A & M, and some others possibly. I also have Jumbo <--not a color ofcourse.

My buttons are souly for the fact that i've always wanted them as pets. I actually feel they make poor pets. They arent' like a parakeet that you can tame to want to be with you. They're more like a finch or canary OR fish that you just look at and enjoy. Coturnix make the better pets IMHO.

I love their colors, and am getting in a ton of different genetics to work with. POssibly blue faced, maybe whites, silvers, darth vadars, you name it cmoing in in hatching egg form soon.
smile.png

So genetics, eggs and meat...and training for me.

We raise our Coturnix for meat and eggs. All our birds other than the Cochins, Peafowl are used on the table. (Turkeys, geese, ducks, chickens) We have bought zero poultry from the store in years. When we go somewhere and eat store bought it tastes nasty to us.

Steve in NC

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
I think you're the first person I've seen from Japan!!
woot.gif

I raise them for meat, eggs, pets, all of the above. But I can't keep enough of them around to try the meat.
roll.png
I sell the eggs, but if I have a surpluss I boil them and feed them back to the birds as a treat.
smile.png

I got quail because I got the oppritunity to get some. (From Mrs. Ak Bird brain
smile.png
Hey, arent the coturnix Japanese quail? ) I got a lot of eggs from them, I even pickled some. I also wanted to try the meat, my hubby says it's so good!
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Breeding....Building a bigger meat type bird.....Butchering....and Selling.
Those are my reasons.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom