Why Do You Use Deep Bedding/Why Do You NOT Use Deep Bedding?

I’m the kind that deep cleans more often in warmer weather, and piles it up in colder weather. We do get a lot of flies come summer temps with short, moderately hot temps, and since I had a LOT of chicks locked up in the coop for much of the summer, it was much more labour intensive. Winter, I cleaned everything out and put down a new feed bag, about 3” of fresh shavings, and have just been adding fresh on top when it’s either a. Too frozen to work with or b. The poo is more prevalent than the shavings. If birds are picking up poo on their feet I give them extra fresh stuff. Not scientific or at all a system, lol, I just don’t feel like cleaning all the frozen stuff out when it’s -40 C with the windchill. 🤷🏼‍♀️ The ducks have probably 10 inches of bedding built up in their house by now. They don’t mind, I’m sure it does keep them warmer in the long run. :) I’ve gone through probably 3 bales of shavings in both coops plus the plastic dog house and quail pen, as well as maybe 2-3 bales of straw for in the yard around the water stations, near the doorways, etc. I’m at a total of 36 birds right now including the 8 quail. :)

I bought straw for nest boxes on a recommendation and I hated it. I use deep bedding for 1. warmth and 2. ease of cleaning. I scoop poo once a week ( which is all frozen right now) and have just recently put strips of plastic down under roosts. " Old cut up feed bags" I just use fine pine shavings and heavy litter scoop for that, and just toss in composter. I do fluff it up at that time . 3. I think it cuts down on smells in there also. I've probably only used 2 bags of bedding so far @$5.30 each. That's pretty cheap me. I tried cedar shavings fo aroma but clogged up the litter scoop. Works great for me so far (6 months into this adventure)

Is that the best sand to use?

I used masonry sand because that was what the quarry had as far as sand. I was worried that it was too fine so I purchased some screenings (also from the quarry) and mixed them together. It ended up being perfect. The screenings are a small crushed gravel very similar to what you see in a fish tank, only it is natural stone. Around here they frequently use screenings for driveways and such. If you can get river sand, that is ideal because the grains are a mix of sand and pebbles, gravel, etc... But our quarry didn't carry that.

I know everyone has their personal preferences but the sand has been incredible for me in the South. Even my husband, who can't understand my attachment to my birds, was amazed at the lack of smell in the hot, sweltering 100+ degree summer heat in the deep South. Personally I was just ecstatic about the lack of flies! ☺

I used masonry sand because that was what the quarry had as far as sand. I was worried that it was too fine so I purchased some screenings (also from the quarry) and mixed them together. It ended up being perfect. The screenings are a small crushed gravel very similar to what you see in a fish tank, only it is natural stone. Around here they frequently use screenings for driveways and such. If you can get river sand, that is ideal because the grains are a mix of sand and pebbles, gravel, etc... But our quarry didn't carry that.

I know everyone has their personal preferences but the sand has been incredible for me in the South. Even my husband, who can't understand my attachment to my birds, was amazed at the lack of smell in the hot, sweltering 100+ degree summer heat in the deep South. Personally I was just ecstatic about the lack of flies! ☺
I live in central Texas so completely understand the heat, lol, I also work at a rock quarry so am very familiar with "fines". We are building a new coop 7x8 and currently use pine shaving in our old coop(which I clean weekly), so I'm exploring other options for bedding and am really interested in sand. Ty very much for the info😁

I live in central Texas so completely understand the heat, lol, I also work at a rock quarry so am very familiar with "fines". We are building a new coop 7x8 and currently use pine shaving in our old coop(which I clean weekly), so I'm exploring other options for bedding and am really interested in sand. Ty very much for the info😁

I usually scoop the poop out each Saturday. Takes me about 15-20 minutes and that includes removing and putting clean straw in the nesting boxes IF someone has dirtied them. The only thing I wish I had done differently is not use roof trusses that the chickens can roost on...mostly because it means the poop is not concentrated under the roosts but everywhere.... And that I had used poop boards. We are going to add poop boards once the weather warms up. The sand is still the easiest maintenance I've had in the coop but using poop boards will mean my old body doesn't have to bend down as much to scoop the floor.

The only thing I wish I had done differently is not use roof trusses that the chickens can roost on...mostly because it means the poop is not concentrated under the roosts but everywhere
Staple some chicken wire to the bottom of the trusses to block their access there.

We also use masonry sand. In southern California, sand is also great... easy to clean, aesthetically pleasing (that's always a matter of personal taste), and no flies or smell (we through horse stall freshener on top of any poop we can't pick up with a long-handled cat little scoop). The areas we where we use sand don't get a lot of direct sunlight, so even in the summer it's not too hot for the chickens to walk on.

We clean out the coop/run every day (def not everyone's cup of tea!) and so far no complaints from the teenagers.

I don't use deep litter anymore. I found it more hard work shoveling everything out and cost more money for bedding too. Also mites like to hide in it apparently so I ditched the deep bedding.
So, now I use straw in nest boxes or in brooder coop for mother's and chicks. Tarp under roosts and mats on coop floor but also have 2 large dirt/sand dustbathing areas inside where mats are not. I scoop poop daily, takes less then 2 mins. Every now and again I'll pull out the mats and tarp and hose/wash if needed.

Back
Top Bottom