Why does it matter whose line it is from?

Most everyone here has hit on what I have to ad. But, this is a forum what the heck. To some people lines are prestige.
To me it is important to know the history of the lines you have. For health reasons, what weaknesses are inherit in a certain breeders line that you might have or like. I have found some breeders will keep a closed flock, or a flock that has not changed it's blood for a few years. They do this to keep a certain type that can be more predictable. Thus, they will be sacrificing verility down the road sooner then IF they brought in new blood.
Some will say it is easier to make a buck on a line bred bird. I feel in the Marans world, to continue to breed for only one breeders line, so they can sell the offspring, is not good for that breed.
I totally agree, after a generation or two, you can call those birds your line. Cause the breeder who you bought your birds from is not telling you who to breed to who. And who to cull. The line is taking on the characteristics that you prefer.
To me, I prefer to have several lines to breed with in all my few varieties of chickens. I know I will need to work for a few generations to regain the traits I want to be inherit. But, then it is truelly my line. So, in my Buff Orps, I am a mixing machine. I am line breeding all my new blood over my Doug Akers Buff Orp hens. All my lines will have the Akers flavor in their blood. I will have 4 separate pens, and all will be mixes, all will be genetically different. Some will be Akers/Vermazen, some will be Akers/ Yarnell, Akers/Bishop, & some will be Akers/Britt. And all will have Doug Akers Buff Orps blood in them. So, hopefully in a few years, when each of these mixed lines start to show size and the type I like, then I will already have my own new blood, with just enough common blood to keep my birds healthy.
I know I rambled, this is a sorta interesting topic to talk about.

I had thought to call a "line" your own you had to improve the original line or modify it.

For example, you purchase line A from a breeder. You do nothing but breed them and keep them like you got them, in my mind they are still line A.

If you cross them with line A and line B and have them breed consistanly then you have created a new line.

Just because you have gotten another persons breeding work doesn't mean you can hang your name on them because you now own them. JMHO

Steve in NC

Quote:
I would disagree with that
smile.png
Here just lately I have seen some birds from renowned lines that I wouldn't give 10 cents for.

Steve in NC

Quote:
But even if you do that, you are not breeding exactly the same way the original breeder might have (especially those of us who pedigree breed.)

So if I sell someone a group of my Dutch birds, and they buy no other Dutch and only breed my birds to my birds. I definitely would not be comfortable with them selling the offspring of those birds and calling them "Haggarty Dutch", because I had no input on which cock bird went over which hens! So while they could say to potential buyers "I got my original birds from Laura Haggarty", I do not want them selling birds and calling them mine, because they most definitely are not.

I know the Hat Trick ladies are very irked when someone takes their birds and then sells them as Hat Trick birds three generations later, because it discounts the hard work and knowledge that they use to breed, and they can't control what the buyer has done. And I can't blame them for being irked, I would be too!

Does that make sense? It's a somewhat fine distinction, but I think an important one.

Back
Top Bottom