Why does my duck quack twice, then stick out his neck?

Re: Our duck being a single duck.

Yes, I am aware that ducks are flock animals. We learned that after we got the duck. However, for now, he will remain a single duck. I am not positive, but suspect that we are not technically allowed to have ducks where we live (ours is a deed restricted neighborhood), so having two would be a bigger risk than having one (as in, a neighbor might report us). Getting him a girl would mean getting a noisy duck, since the girls are noisy, and I don't want to risk that. Getting a boy would risk them not getting along and fighting.

He is a happy duck right now. I've talked with my kids about getting rid of him if he shows any signs of depression (though I have no idea where we would send him, and hope I don't have to figure this out). We all play with him several times a day, and we have a small pool for him, which he loves.

Re: The creature in the swing.

It is a toy dragon. Good eye!

Quote:
Is this a safe thing to do to a duck? I'm willing to do this, but only if I am sure it won't hurt him.

Quote:
Yes, they are flock animals...however it is my understanding that if a duck is raised around only people...it believes it's human. Therefore, it's flock is it's human family. He looks pretty happy.
smile.png

Quote:
That totally makes sense! And, yes, he is a happy duck. I never would have imagined what great pets ducks are (for those willing to commit the time required to caring for them). I admit that I have fallen in love with this little guy, as have my two daughters.

Quote:
That totally makes sense! And, yes, he is a happy duck. I never would have imagined what great pets ducks are (for those willing to commit the time required to caring for them). I admit that I have fallen in love with this little guy, as have my two daughters.

We just "adopted" a pair of pekin girls to be raised indoors. I was going to only keep one, as I want her to believe she is human (they do better indoors like this). However, my other half got attached to another one of the rescued ducklings...and now we have two! lol They are awesome pets, very smart and very loving! You're little guy is too adorable! We loved watching your video!

featheredfashions,

Where do you keep your ducks indoors? Do they get a room to themselves?

This wouldn't work for us with our four cats, though the cats might enjoy it. The duck and our cats have met each other in our screened-in porch, where we have been there to make sure all is well. It's been funny to watch. The cats have either ignored him completely, or they have been scared of him and run away. The duck is petrified of them, so we don't have them on the porch at the same time.

Quote:
They do have an indoor duck house that we built for them in my sewing room. We have 2 very gentle dogs...but no cats. When they get a little older I will diaper them and they will have free range of our home.
smile.png

Quote:
Aw, that sounds pretty wonderful. I'd love to let our duck roam our home, but it just isn't possible.

I read the story of your goose from your childhood. That was so very sad. I'm also in Florida, and am very familiar with those awful fire ants (my youngest has about 40 scars on her legs from when she got bit up when she was a toddler). I'm glad to have read it, so that I will make sure to take care of any ant hills asap that might show up in our backyard, where our duck has access to.

Back
Top Bottom