Why does my duck quack twice, then stick out his neck?

Quote:
Aw, that sounds pretty wonderful. I'd love to let our duck roam our home, but it just isn't possible.

I read the story of your goose from your childhood. That was so very sad. I'm also in Florida, and am very familiar with those awful fire ants (my youngest has about 40 scars on her legs from when she got bit up when she was a toddler). I'm glad to have read it, so that I will make sure to take care of any ant hills asap that might show up in our backyard, where our duck has access to.

That's a sad story. Loss is hard at any age, but especially when you're a child. What's so crazy is that when I decided to get a duck...we went to a breeders house to pick one out. Turns out she only had four...and they were ALL covered in fire ants! The pen she was keeping them in was infested. She pulled the ducklings out and began picking off the ants (she tried to do this "on the sly" so we wouldn't notice)...but how could you not!? I was picking ants out of their mouths! It was horrible. I felt so bad for the conditions they were living in and ended up buying all four of them just to save their lives! Brought back memories from my goose as a child. As I said before, we only intended to keep one...but my other half got attached to "the runt".
smile.png
They wouldn't have made it another night in that pen with the ants. They recovered well and the bites on their bills and feet healed. However after healing, now a few of the ant bites have turned into several holes in their webbed feet. (More so on the runt "Smalls" than "Sparkle".) They are fine, and it doesn't seem to bother them. I've attached a photo of the largest hole on the runt "Smalls". The experience was kind of cool in the way that I couldn't save my goose from the ants as a child....but I had the opportunity to save 4 lives from the ants as an adult.
smile.png

091911223118.jpg

How horrible of the breeder to knowingly keep her ducks in a place where fire ants were attacking them! That's nothing short of animal abuse.

On the flip side, it does seem serendipitous that you got these ducks that had been infested with the same ants that killed your goose. Poor little ducks. I've been bitten just one time, and know the pain from a single bite. I can't even imagine being infested with them. And in the mouth? Awful!! At least they ended up with someone who truly cared about their welfare.

Very true! And love your choice word... serendipitous! Been using that word for as long as I can remember as a screen name.
smile.png
How fitting it is now.

Thanks for sharing your ducky with us! Loved the video and so happy he lives the good life with you and yours!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom