Why Does my Young Roo Have Such an OVER BITE? Getting Worse

1234duck

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Upper Lake, California
I have asked about this before, and seems to look even more of an over bite. From the side it looks soooo off. His beak, the top & bottom do Not line up. It looks awkward. Is this going to be a problem? There is rocks in their pen. Medium size kinda flat rocks right in front of the ladder to get in the coop and more just on the ground in the pen. There is a big walnut tree in the fenced pen area also. Is there anything i should do? Thanks, ~Julie~

Sounds like cross beak. (looks like scissors) It's a genetic deformity and can get worse as the bird ages. Birds with mild cross beak can do fine, but birds with severe cross beak have trouble eating. You definitely do not want to breed the bird.

It sounds like he has a crossed beak. You may have to trim the excess back, and give him a deep bowl of food to help him eat. I think cross beak is a genetic problem, so if you're planning on breeding him its something he could pass on to his offspring. Lots of people keep them as pets. Good luck!

OMG.... great i just set eggs in bator with him being the daddy. he is such a beautiful rooster and about 6months old. I'll get pics now and post ASAP. Thanks, ~Julie~

Quote:
It doesn't always turn up in the chicks. You will just have to watch & it may not be obvious either in new chicks as it seems to get worse from what I've read about it.

I have had a chicken with cross beak. It is a problem and you will have to have its beak coped by a vet or a bird expert about once a year because it will become overgrown. When this batch of chicks hatch, keep the ones that do not have it- but be careful when breeding them, this characteristic may show up in their offspring. Do not breed your current Rooster after this batch. If you want to have a natural flock of your breed, think about getting a new rooster from a differnet genetic line (hatchery).

Last edited:
also watch the backs of your hens.... those scissors will really cut the backs of their necks when he holds on for a ride.... i've heard of hens really getting damaged from this..... hate to say it but he might have to go or become soup.....

Back
Top Bottom