Why does Oreo (my hen) spit fluid out of her mouth? HELLPPPP!!!

Oct 26, 2017
Ohio
Hey all!
I just started to notice that our hen Oreo is starting to spit fluid out of her mouth. THIS WORRYS ME HORRIBLY. She is a Plymouth rock. I never have seen any of our chickens do that, and I have been raising chickens for almost 4 years. She is not acting strange, but she does run sideways... I don't think that has anything to do with it though. Does anyone know what it is? ANY replies help soo much.

If chickens drink water, it can drip out of the beak afterward if the beak is down. Can you feel her crop to see if it feels full and puffy, hard, soft, or empty? Check it again first thing in the morning before she has a chance to eat or drink when it should feel empty and flat (or you may not feel it.) Does she have a sour or bad odor from her beak?

Ok, will try that. I was getting worried hoping someone would reply already. They are in bed now, so I'll feel it in the morning. I will reply and tell you results tomorrow! Meanwhile, I will check to see other people's reply on the thread. She has never did it right after drinking water.

Over the years I've had a couple of hens suddenly start to have clear liquid pouring out of their mouths. They soon became lethargic and died. I never found out why, and none of my other chickens ever got the same sickness, so it's not transmittable.
Hopefully your hen isn't experiencing the same thing.

I don't know if this will help, but I once had a goose that start doing the same thing and he too soon died just moments later . At first we couldn't figure out what went wrong. Until the neighbors came over to warn us that he had been in their garden eating plants and that they spray their plants with insecticides.

Back
Top Bottom