Why does our suspected roo not go for the treats as much as the girls?

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
We don't know for sure but we think it's a he (they are 8 weeks tomorrow). So anyway, I've noticed when I throw out treats like fruit he doesn't seem to manage to get any. I thought he was just too slow. Well today I threw out frozen blueberries and made sure to throw some right in front of him. He would look at them and then look away and a girl would come and steal it. Is this roo-ish behavior or do we have a dummy (or a picky eater)? When I throw out scratch (which at the moment is just wheat seed with a little bit of dried weeds in it) he goes for that right away.

Its the Roo. As the flock leader, the roosters with make sure every hen gets some of the treat, and would give up his to his hens. When I throw things to my chickens, my roo just stands back and clucks, and if the same hen gets everything, he takes it from her and throws it to a different hen. It's kinda funny
tongue.png

Not my alpha roo...he steals the food from my girls and is easily twice as big as the rest of them, including my other roo (16 chickens total, about 11wks old).

I have one or two girls who are more 'picky' than the rest. while everyone else goes crazy on some of the treats, they kinda hold back and aren't nearly as interested.

When I put the chosen roo and his sisters in with the older pullets and hens. He started doing the same thing. Its like the older hens taught him manners cause when he was just with his sisters it was dog eat dog lol. He has not shown any signs of aggresion to people or other chickens. But then he has 22 females to keep him busy.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom