Why doesn’t my female duck lay eggs AT ALL?

NDeAngelo8517

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2020
What would make a female duck NOT lay eggs at all? She’s a Blue Swedish from a hatchery, exactly one year old. I’m 100% positive she is female, as she has laid 2 or 3 eggs her whole life. Hers are the only ones of my 4 ducks that are green and not white.

All 4 of my ducks are happy, healthy, seemingly not stressed, and the other 3 lay almost daily. They free range on about an acre of fenced yard, have a pond they love, eat 17% protein all flock feed with separate oyster shell free choice, forage the yard for bugs and greens, and get veggie scraps and mealworms as treats. She’s also not molting or broody.

I know she’s not laying somewhere else. I’ve kept them locked up, searched and searched the yard, looked for places she could bury them, the pond is very newly built and they never laid in the kiddie pools before they had the pond so I’m confident she’s not laying in the pond.

She occasionally mounts one of my other ducks in the pond, but I thought that could be pretty normal behavior for females also. Is it possible that she is taking on the male role since I dont have a drake and doesn’t lay because of that?

Is there anything physical I should be concerned about? Or even if it’s not cause for concern, what could physically make a female duck not lay eggs besides 2 or 3 eggs, many months ago? She looks and acts totally fine, but DOES NOT lay eggs!

And not drake curl? Humm since I don't have an all female flock I can say on the taking on the role of the drake and maybe that is why she isn't laying, but I know my females will still mount each other with 3 drakes in the mix.
It maybe that she has had premature menopause and as long as she is eating drinking and acting normal in all other ways as long as you don't mind that she isn't laying Just enjoy her. How about some pictures.

I have one female Khaki who only lays a few eggs a year. I have always figured that she has hormone or mechanical problems with her reproductive system. Occasionally I find small white, shell-less eggs with membrane cords in the pool. I guess they are from her. She is five years old and otherwise healthy so I don’t worry about her. Your duck may have similar issues.

And not drake curl? Humm since I don't have an all female flock I can say on the taking on the role of the drake and maybe that is why she isn't laying, but I know my females will still mount each other with 3 drakes in the mix.
It maybe that she has had premature menopause and as long as she is eating drinking and acting normal in all other ways as long as you don't mind that she isn't laying Just enjoy her. How about some pictures.
Nope, no drake curl. And yes, she’s eating, drinking, swimming, and acting like a perfectly healthy normal duck. I definitely enjoy having her and it’s not a huge deal that she doesn’t lay (except I could bring the farmers market eggs more often! Lol) I’m just SO curious about why she doesn’t lay. And I only have pictures from when she was a tiny duckling for some reason. I’ll get some and post them 🙂

Back
Top Bottom