Why don't we keep eggs in plastic containers?

backintime

Songster
13 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Northern Wisconsin
I was just browsing online at www.solutions.com and saw a clear plastic egg keeper that looks like it would be airtight. (Stackable, too)

It got me to wondering, why do we generally keep eggs in non-airtight containers if the whites slowly evaporate through the shell and cause staleness? Wouldn't they go stale more slowly if we kept them in airtight containers?

Hey! What's this? You can't go "back in time" and use plastic!

I mean, I darn near predate plastic. I can remember when the only plastic I'd ever seen was the Bakelite handles on some of the new pots and pans and the electric plugs . . . (darn near predate rural electricity
roll.png
).

Seriously, I use a plastic container for the eggs and one made especially for eggs makes sense. . . . easy to wash. Using old cardboard has little appeal to me. And, a container for eggs holds them so that the air cell stays in the right place.

Steve

Quote:
eggcartons.com does sell the clear plastic containers. I think I may get these if I have success with colored eggs in the future.
They are more pricey
hugs
christina

I wrap my eggs i'm collecting for hatching in plastic wrap it keeps them from evaporateing so fast. Then i store then in regular styrofoam cartons.
It can also extend my collecting time up to 3 weeks i have a egg in the incu right now that when i put it in it was 14 days old.
ep.gif

It's developeing nicely and should hatch next thursday.

If you are talking about airtight containers I would wonder if that would be good for eggs you are going to hatch.. could you suffocate the egg??

I do not see any harm otherwise for eating eggs..

I would say, try it.. around here we never have eggs over 4 or 5 days old so it would not matter..

You Can't Suffocate and Egg theres nothing in there to suffocate as the chick does'nt begin to develope until it's incubated.
So yes you can put them in the plastic containers and they will be fine
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom