Why has my Leghorn stopped laying?

DustyChick

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2018
San Jose, CA
My 1yr old Leghorn started laying eggs last August-ish. Then once daylight started getting shorter in December, she & my other girls stopped laying. Well, here it is April and everyone has returned to normal laying schedule except her! She is my smallest hen, could that have anything to do with it? Before winter, she was laying pretty perfect white eggs consistently. I've felt her & she doesn't seem to be egg bound. She's eating, drinking & hopping around normal. They don't free-range in the yard that often and I've checked for hidden stashes under all the trees & bushes in their run. Do I just need to wait it out?

Attachments

• IMG_2786.jpg
    IMG_2786.jpg
    695.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2586.jpg
    IMG_2586.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 9
She's beautiful! If she appears to be healthy and happy, I (personally) wouldn't worry. They're all different. Maybe she's about to start a molt, or maybe she needs some nice warm weather to build herself back up after the winter.

Did the comb shrink and go pale when she quit laying? With that big bright red comb I would assume she is laying or fixing to lay.
Hmmm...I don't think her comb has changed much. That second photo of her on the white chair is from February. The first one on the tire was today.

Back
Top Bottom