Why have a rooster? new Pg 10 video pg 13

Oh My Gosh! Your Lancelot is so brave. I Love this story. Actually it would be a great a great childrens book. thank You for sharing;

Quote:
Three is too many for that number of hens, generally, because they compete and mate more than one rooster alone would. The poor hens will be running all the time and stressed, I'd think. My Delaware rooster has 17 to himself and has had as many as 25 at one time and handled them all. It really may depend on the rooster. Teen roos are pains when it comes to competing for mating privileges.

Congrats to you for having a roo like Lancelot! THAT is a good enough reason to keep a roo.

What a great story & I'm glad none of your flock was lost. Sorry about the fox, though. They're beautiful animals, as well... not so much when they're getting our livestock, though.

No problem with me as long as you do not say he is yours. LOL My name is LadyHawk Smith...I also have facebook but please feel free to talk about him with his pics.

Quote:
7.gif
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for sharing Lancelot's story. He is a beautiful bird. Handsome and brave. We have always had a rooster, usually one, but currently we have two. We have only had one aggressive ,out of the six we have owned. Yes, they do crow. We live in the country and our neighbors have never complained. They inherently protect the flock and always let the "girls" know when they have found a special treat in the yard. We do not have "fighting" between the two roosters, one is dominant and larger. They are from the same hatch, two year olds, Welsummer roosters. Gorgeous to see and enjoy.
One of our past roosters, "Brutus", a large Plymouth White Rock was the flock leader when we had a fisher attack. We did not lose one hen, however Brutus was attacked in the throat and could never crow correctly after that attack. He lived four years and was treated like royalty in the coop by me and the hens. He was our hero and like Lancelot never thought about the sacrifice.

Back
Top Bottom