Why have coop raised off ground

I just ordered our first set of ducks and now I'm hearing everyone talk about how much they hate them šŸ˜… we ordered 6. Our hoop coop will be about 10x20 and mostly chickens. Will the 6 ducks make it too terrible? šŸ˜¬

Ducks and chickens have different needs and habits.

Ducks are inevitably wet while chickens are healthier when dry. Some people make it work.

One key thing is that if any of your ducks are male you MUST keep them away from the chicken hens because drakes have penises while roosters do not and a drake can inflict serious internal injuries on a chicken hen by mating with her.

There are a few reasons why all the coops I've built are off the ground.
Many predators dig their way into a coop. A coop a couple of feet at least off the ground pretty much solves that problem.
If you can inspect the underside of a coop floor there is less chance of you not noticing rot or other problems.
You can mesh the underside of the coop and be able to inspect it.
An off ground coop, at the right height is easy to slide a wheelbarow under and scrape the muck straight into the barrow.
Chickens like to perch off the ground but coops built on the ground waste all the space between the floor and the roost bars. Having two or three feet off the ground means you can build a less tall coop and still have chickens roosting quite high relative to the ground.
Under the coop provides shelter and a place not to be seen by hawks.
Finally, a small coop built off the ground on sturdy legsis usually moveable even if it takes a few people to do it. Being able to move a coop to fresh ground can have chicken health benefits.
So here's a question back. Why do people build these elaborate coops, built on the ground when a chicken really doesn't care what colour the coop is, or whether it's got curtains etc?

Our coop is built on a trailer, with the idea that we'd move it twice a year. The plan changed, but I'm still glad the coop is up off the ground. The floor and bedding have stayed nice and dry. I've never seen any intruders, or even signs of any.

The chickens do not have access to the area underneath the coop, as I didn't want to have to try to get under there to retrieve eggs or a sick chicken.

You'll be needing at least 4 people and some poles to move that then.:p

;)

We made the Little Monitor Coop, which is only 4'x4', to be moved exactly that way.

See the metal loops that will take a 2x4?

0121211125-jpg.2497653

Back
Top Bottom