Why In-Laws and Easter should be mutually exclusive!!!! What to do with dropped-off ducks

possumblossum

Songster
11 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Blount Co., TN
Well Easter has come and gone and as may be the case with hundreds of people across the country, my mother-in-law strikes again!!!! She came by on Sunday to give each of my four children an Easter basket including a new duckling from the local Tractor Supply. I have no idea what breed they are and have never raised ducks before. They are currently housed with the chicks I have hatched out this Spring, a 40-member collection of RIR, BSL and BR ranging from one to three weeks in age. We currently have over 50 laying hens and eight Narragansett Turkeys, so I'm not in a dead panic, I just didn't expect to have four ducks right now.

Rehoming may be the final decision, but I'm not about to tell my kids that they have to get rid of them when I'm adding new varieties of poultry to my wish list all the time. I don't think I need a "Raising Water Fowl 101" course, but would appreciate some heads up on anything you do for ducks that might be really different from chickens or turkeys. For instance:

1) Is cohabitation as described above acceptable, or do I need to separate the ducklings?

2) Do I need to start planning for a substantial water source?

3) I am aware of a need for niacin supplementation, but are there any other common vitamin/mineral deficiencies that I need to address?

I've ordered Story's guide to Raising Ducks but am looking forward to your insights.

Thanks

1. I wouldn't personally brood them together due to the mess the ducklings create but many people do brood them together.

2. A small little kiddie pool works just fine for them.

3. I'm not aware of any that are a big must like Niacin.

I've brooded mine together, but as the other poster said, ducklings are very messy. They will get the shavings (or whatever bedding you use) soaked with water...no matter what kind of waterer you have. It's amazing.

Back
Top Bottom