Why is always the gentlest and friendliest that have to go?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by purpledonna, Jan 22, 2010.

1. purpledonna

purpledonna Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    I had to say goodbye to Gertie today, my favourite chook! She has had some leg problems for a while and hurt it more today and we (the vet and I) decided it was the best decision for Gertie. [​IMG]

Always a hard decision as my chooks are my pets!

RIP Gertie.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Its always hard to say goodbye, But you have done the right thing for your lovely pet, and not allowed any pain or suffereing to continue. I have a little one who I am watching carefully at the moment. There is sometimes a fine line to be drawn between trying to nurse and animal back to health- or just prolonging a difficult life. I dread having to make that decision for my little girl, but know the day will come eventually.

Its sad that the animals that we keep as pets- that bring us so much joy, can also cause so much heartbreak when they pass.

Sorry that it was Gerties time. Im sure she was a lovely girl. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. purpledonna

purpledonna Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    Thanks for your kind words. [​IMG]

4. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    [​IMG] Sorry you had to lose Gertie.

5. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I am so sorry about Gertie, but if she was in pain, you did the truly loving and responsible thing.
    Blessings and peace to you.

6. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    you did the right thing...I am sorry for your loss... hugs

7. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope, it never is easy. But, I agree with the others...you did what was best for Gertie. It takes a strong heart to do that! To set aside what we want for ourselves to do what is best for a loved one. And it doesn't matter if they are human or animal....love is love. It knows no species boundaries. Keep the memories of Gertie close to your heart, and a part of her will always be with you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by