Why is Gizmo so mean to me?

Lamar Estate

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hello--

I have Gizmo, a Cayuga x Khaki Cambell-Cayuga drake that was born in March. He practically hatched in my hands since I had to help him out of the shell. A few months ago he started to get aggressive towards my husband and me. He constantly chases us, bites and pulls on our skin, and wants us dead. He has made us bleed a little bit, too. We've tried putting him on his back, saying "No really loud, and tapping his beak firmly.

He's only nice to us when we give him peas. As soon as the peas are gone, it's back to trying to kill us.

What happened? Why is he like this? His duck mom and duck dad are sweet. Is there anything I can do?

Hi Amanda. He's being like a teenager! He's rebelling! He wants to show you that he's the bigger duck (drake) in the pond. YOU have to keep reinforcing that you're the boss. We've had that with a couple of drakes and even with our Sebastopol gander, Peter. Once they learn that its YOU that is the boss, he'll stop but until he learns that, all bets are off, unfortunately.

It took us a couple of months with our gander Peter. Good luck.

Laurie

I am working on this right now with a Muscovy drake who is 6 months old tomorrow, he challenges me everyday and I was his mommy in the house for over 3 months, we just can't give up and hopefully they get it eventually. Right now I just try to ignore him and if he does challenge me which as soon as i let him out this morning he did, as long as he doesn't jump on me which he has and made blood bruises, I ignore him. if he grabs, I put him on his belly and hold him down till he stops fighting. Sometimes he'll waddle off like hes getting it other times he comes back for more, But I never back down. I don't feed him out of my hand right now either. He doesn't get special treatment. [which is very hard since hes my baby]

Quote:
So, no peas out of your hand?

I think most teenagers would be kicked out of their parents' homes if they behaved this way.

I don't know if all of this tough love will work, but it's worth a try. I'm just tired of getting beat up by a little duck! He's too special to me to get "rid" of him. He's my little Gizmo.

Quote:
So, no peas out of your hand?

I think most teenagers would be kicked out of their parents' homes if they behaved this way.

I don't know if all of this tough love will work, but it's worth a try. I'm just tired of getting beat up by a little duck! He's too special to me to get "rid" of him. He's my little Gizmo.

I know exactly how you are feeling, and I don't give him peas out of my hand either, he can eat them with the rest of the ducks or go without. Tough love is hard and I didn't hatch him his mom did but she rejected him right after hatch so he was with us from the begining, like was said its hormones and being a teenager, not fun
I had both at one time. Very trying, i am hoping he'll get over and i hope yours does too.

I'm guessing that it's all about sex. He's starting to mature and you and your husband are his flock. He needs several girl friends to occupy his time.

He's not trying to kill you! He's trying to mate with you! Welcome to drakehood! :)
My drake Stanley is the same way. I would consider geting him a few girlfriends to get it out of his system. By placing a hand on his back and gently and firmly press him to the ground to show him whose boss. Dont shout or get angry or be too rough. And I would quit hand feeding. Offer him his peas in a dish instead. He will still associate you with feeding him, but no longer confuse your fingers with food.
Good luck!
Emily

Quote:
Everyone, thanks for all the advice. It's just so sad to think my baby boy has matured.

This morning he bit me so hard I actually bleed a little bit. He's able to grab a small amount of skin at the end of his beak and twist hard!

I will be "the boss" and stop hand feeding him. It will be difficult since he's just so cute and my baby boy.

Thank you,
Amanda

Back
Top Bottom