Why is homegrown so weird?

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
We were visiting my family for easter, and I took some boiled and dyed quail eggs over, just for the fun of it. My mother asked first what they were and second, what I would do with them. When I said that they were boiled and could be eaten just like a chicken egg, she was totally grossed out. I then said something about the chickens (they're mostly new, and mostly, I don't tell much of my "business" to her, because I just don't enjoy listening to her "eww" and "what's the point of that"), and again, I get "what are you going to do with them?" I mentioned that the pullets would be kept for the eggs, the roos most likely rehomed, or, at worst, I'd process them. She was totally grossed out by this. I then mentioned that this was the entire purpose of me raising the coturnix quail, was for meat and eggs. Again... "ewww". At this point, my brother's interest was spiked (he works at a butcher shop, processing hoof stock) and so he started asking me a bunch of questions. I said that I had already processed some quail and he was interested in whether or not I bought them live or what, and how I actually killed and processed them, since he does it only with hoof stock, and they use a bullet type thing to kill them. Anyways, the entire time, my mother was ewwwing and groaning about how gross it was and that I should get rid of them. My brother was stunned, he said he wasn't so sure if he would have been able to do it himself, since he basically shoots the stock they get, and I have to bonk the heads and cut them off. I'm thinking about raising a few butcher birds to take down to him to process and try.

Anyways, why is homegrown/processed food so disgusting to everyone else? Yes, it's not as clean as just buying it pre-processed and cleaned up, but, most won't even think about eating it after it has already been cleaned up and looks like the store-bought stuff. I mean, I'll be honest, I want washed eggs, plain and simple. I plan on putting mine in cartons on my counter (or in the cupboard) then washing a few at time and then using them right away. I don't care about the poo on the egg shell, except that I don't want to crack the egg and end up with poo particles in my omelettes. But, I still enjoy homegrown eggs better than storebought, even if I do have to clean them up first. Isn't the MUCH tastier food worth a little bit of cleaning?

We're just so used to plastic and shiney, it takes a while to trust something we've done for ourselves.
I know I'll be a bit edgy when I eat my first home grown chicken.

is your mom an "outdoorsy" person? a girly girl? what your doing is fine! you are providing a safe healthy food for y our family! hey, atleast you know where your food has been and where it is coming from. if i get too many eggs i pass them out to family and friends and never get any eeeewwww's or gross. keep doin what your doin!

I've already complained about this on multiple threads, but I'll say it again. People who stay away from nature are missing out on life. They're the ones that are weird and out of touch. Chickens have to be raised and slaughtered to be eaten, and you do it a million times better than the factories. Ditto with eggs.

At least there was someone there not grossed out that you could talk to!

The weird thing about it is that my father and brother would hunt venison and sometimes my mother would help butcher. *Drools* Speaking of venison... Lol. I even remember being VERY young (maybe 5 years old) and helping dad and my brother with the deer. We'd bring certain sections of meat down and sit the chunk on the kitchen table, then either cube it, cut butterflies (nom, my favorite!) or dad would grind it into sausage or make jerky.
To me, wild meat is grand and all, but, to be honest, I feel safer with homegrown, because I'm weird about worrying about parasites. But, that's not to say that I won't still eat wild food!
And, my mother is not girly. Even as a kid, her father was a butcher (actually still owns his own shop, and he's almost 70!), and she'd help out in the shop during the busy season. They even raised their own beef cattle and pigs. I guess that just makes my mother extra weird, as compared to people who are total city slickers who are grossed out by it.

Bettacreek, my hens keep their nest box so clean, there is never a poo to be found in it, so their eggs are normally very clean. There have been a few times when one has been laid on the coop floor and I've had to wash it, but isn't the normal case. Hopefully your eggs will be clean too.
smile.png

I certainly hope my girls will give me that courtesy! The female quail that's laying is laying very clean eggs. Sometimes you'll get shipped eggs with poo or other stuff stuck to them, but this girl is laying shiny, clean, almost polished looking eggs. Hopefully the rest of the ladies, including the chickies, will do the same.
smile.png

all my quail eggs are clean, it all depends on where they lay and your bedding, I raise mine on a grate/mesh floor so all the poop falls through and the eggs dont. MNy chook eggs are usually clean too but there is the occasional dirt smeared here or there. I dont even bother washing them (unless I am selling or giving them away) yes I know its gross but I figure I am cooking them anyway.

I cant understnd why people find it gross I think my meat is by far cleaner than anything in the store. At least I know I was the person handling them. Good luck I have family who is the same way. I tell them just to get a rise out of them sometimes. lol

Quote:
Maybe your mothers doing this to get a reaction ot of you?
I know every chance I get to tease one of the kids I do it.
but then again not everyone is as evil as I am lol.

Back
Top Bottom